BC Boards

excited I found 2 certified sheep testers

Possibly certified isnt the right word but, they have experince and give certificates to participate in other clinics. one is a B&B sheep farm that is 40mins away they have the regular clinics and classes. The other I think has her own farm and does private ones with about the same driving distance.

I just want to get experience and then if I can catch a clinic at sheepy hollow I'll be ready.

One thought, Sheryl, is to make sure that these folks are good trainers. Anyone can set themselves up as a trainer, and there are both very fine and very inadquate people out there "giving herding lessons".

You don't generally need experience to go to a clinic or lessons, unless stated otherwise (like a clinic for more advanced work or a trainer that doesn't work with beginners, if there is such a person). Good clinicians work with first-timers through experienced Open handlers.

What do you mean by "give certificates to participate in other clinics"?

Walt Jagger of Sheepy Hollow and Cheryl Jagger-Williams of Culleymont, are both reputable and excellent resources for training your dog for stockwork.

It sounds possible to me that both of your local resources may be more oriented towards "hobby-herding" or the AKC/kennel club venue. If that's your goal, that's fine. But, if you intend to become serious about stockwork or trialing with your dog and training for it, it would be worthwhile to go to a reputable, experienced trainer like Walt Jagger or Cheryl Williams-Jagger.

A good start is the most important thing you can do for yourself and your dog if stockwork is your goal, even if it is "just" at the hobby level.

Sheep arent a huge thing here so my resources are few. Right now I'm happy to get my feet wet and see if Dally even though he wasnt agressive enough to herd cows can work sheep a bit. I'd like to learn for the new pup so I have a good understanding of what I'm doing.

I've met the Cheryl and Richard williams they seem nice but, I would feel intimidated to go there without some experience.

Sheryl - Don't be intimidated. I went to a Jack Knox clinic a few months ago. You don't get any better known than he is. If anyone should have felt intimidated, it should have been me. But I wasn't because I was there to learn and he was there to teach, and that's what it's all about. Was I nervous? Yes! Did I learn a lot? Yes!!!

We all have to start somewhere and it's best to start with (and stick with) the best instructor you can access. You won't regret starting with a good instructor, but you will most likely regret starting with a less-qualified person. A good instructor would rather start you off well than have to correct mistakes you may have learned elsewhere.

When my dog reached the age to start training, I was very fortunate to be able to attend a clinic with a fine clinician, and give us both a good start. Some months later, I was able to find a good instructor to take regular (although not often enough) lessons.

Since then, I still take lessons from her, and also attend clinics when I can. That way, I am also able to train with top-rate instructors that I wouldn't otherwise have access to.

Do I make lots of mistakes at my lessons and in training at home? Of course! That's why I go to a good instructor/clinician. They can correct and instruct me, and set me in the right direction.

The best trainers have started many beginners and new dogs, and started them well. There is a reason they are the best.

By the way, you haven't answered my question about the "certificates" for clinics. I am curious to understand what you are talking about.

Best wishes!

Will we see you at the trial in Hop Bottom this year?

Yes I will be there at least on Friday. Possibly more it's only 30 mins from my house. I want to get Dals eyes checked too so he will be along.

Last year my dad even went in the rain and thought it was fun so It may be a family event. (I work weekends will take it off this year). My mom says Walt is a doll that she had the nicest conversation with him.

Sheryl,

If you're only 30 minutes from Hop Bottom you should go to Cheryl. She is great with newbies. She's worked with many of us on these boards. She's successful on the trial field, has years of experience, is very nice and explains things well. No reason to feel intimidated - Cheryl will put you at ease.

Hope to meet you at Hop Bottom - I'll be the one running the "german shepherd" :rolleyes: border collie in Pro Novice and the blue-eyed crazy one in Open.

Yep, me, the "german shepherd" border collie, and the blue-eyed crazy one will be at Borders (Turbotsville) too. Just dropped the entry into the mail.

It's a beautiful site and a friendly atmosphere.

Egads... cous Annie beaten by her younger cousin Bette! Guess I'd better get a-training! :rolleyes:

Sheryl -

Are you staying overnight in the Albany area this Saturday (at the NEBCR Clinic)? If so, you might want to see if you can get a lesson on Sunday with Warren Mick - he is great with beginners. If you are interested, shoot me an email and I will get you his info.

Deb - Don't you realize that Annie is a rare Toy or Mini German Shepherd, and you must keep her intact to breed more Toy/Mini GSDs?

There must be a market for them for performance dog sports (oh, you'd make a killing there - a small height GSD with BC brains and athleticism, and none of those conformation-bred hind end problems) and the folks who want a GSD in a small, urban setting (only it's really a BC so it's smart and can work the neighborhood cats or do pigeon control - wow, that's a concept for a new job for Border Collies that are no good for goose control because they're afraid of water).

Did you see the prices on those Toy/Mini Aussies on that other thread? You should just quit your day job and get breeding! Maybe I could be your agent?