BC Boards

Shearing Day

I am totally in awe of this guy's back - he gets all done and can stand up straight - amazing!! I can barely walk after a day of agility!

DSC07869.jpg

DSC07881.jpg

And it was too funny when he was all done, our Cocoa was brown and now she is black and her singleton baby could not "find" her afterwards even though Cocoa kept going to her and nuzzling - LOL!

DSC07859.jpg

DSC07873.jpg

Seeing spots!

DSC07861.jpg

One more ram lamb baby this a.m., one more to lamb out - 18 babies so far!

Kathy

www.sugarbushfarm.net

more pics at http://sugarbushfarm.blogspot.com/

Hi Kathy - Is that Fred DePaul shearing - hard to get a look at his face from your pics?

Fred was at my place last Sat. He does a great job with the sheep & is one of the most pleasant and patient people you will ever meet.

gail

Yes, that is him! Our neighbor called us Sunday a.m. to let us know Fred was in the area and he connected with a lot of us that day. Such a nice man and he has such a nice way with the sheep.

Last year we only had 4 ewes at this time so my husband did them himself. They didn't look too bad but it sure did take him a lot longer!

Julie, the sheep are all doing super, I'll let you know when they are out to pasture and you can let us know when you may want to come over. We have an agility trial going on here this weekend so they won't go out until after that is over:)

I'd LOVE to learn more about herding but between the day job and agility stuff here there isn't much "spare" time:(

Kathy

Well, Kath- you simply must make time :rolleyes: We have that Kevin Howell clinic in June, and we even have a bit of time between the trial and the clinic- maybe he could um, come out to your place.... Wouldn't THAT be a hoot... Of course, if that happened, you would have lots of "friends" showing up to join in the fun!

I hate shearing myself - can do it in pinch but would rather not. Our guy will be here next week and we'll do 150 over 2 days. He's fast and clean, and doesn't mind cleaning up the hair/wool crosses as he goes along. We may add in my oldest lambs this time too - they grow faster naked :rolleyes:

We he's done, we work dogs :D

Last year I gave my shearer a bit of a treat when it comes to working dogs after shearing. I had trailered my sheep to my neighbor's house half a mile or so away (she has a big barn and I had no real shelter, so it was a way to keep the sheep dry and have them all in one location for the shearer). When we were done shearing, I separated out my flock and had Tom bring them home with Pete. It was a blast. I drove in front to stop traffic so the flock could pass and we stationed two people at the crossroads by my house to stop traffic so the sheep could cross back to my property. I think Tom and Pete really enjoyed moving the sheep down the road (and it definitely was a good break from bending over shearing all day).... :rolleyes:

He's coming out Thursday/Friday and I haven't even checked the weather to make sure it's going to work. I can see me trying to cram all those sheep under cover in two barn stalls if we get rain. But we've already rescheduled once, so I'll make it work no matter what the weather!

J.

I have such a respect for shearers, I took a two day course a couple weeks ago and after the first day(sheared 2) I was sore all over, the second day I sheared 4 and sunday morning could barely move!, I dont plan on shearing for anyone, but it was a great lesson to learn, on the second day we had a gentleman from New Zealand who is in the states for a couple of years come and give a demo and help all of us, he was something to watch, smooth and every move had a purpose, he said he would do about 300 + a day ! Tom