BC Boards

Ok so I was wrong about no aggression issues

....or was I?

We took Riven to the park yesterday. We put the long line on her and let her run a bit but no further than the line. When she'd take off we'd grab the line. We had her in a down stay, and of course what happens but some kid (probably like 12) and her dog come walking buy. Medium sized fat dog, about 4 inches off the ground. Really wierd looking long dog... anyway.. Riven sits there, and we could see the wheels turning in her head - debating, should I run for it, or listen. Well ... lol.. she ran for it. My husband jumps on the leash with his foot and she hit the end of the lead. She literally backs up and lunges again before my husband can grab the lead with his hand, and the lead is jerked out from under his foot. So she tears off to this dog. But guess what... she attacked the dog. My husband insists she didnt. But, she was growling, flashign teeth and her hackles were up. This dog did nothing to provoke her that I know of, in fact the dog was minding its own business goin down the slide with its owner. So, I think I have an aggression problem I was unaware of. Attacking this dog, and attempted attacking of the sprinkler dude a couple days ago. I dont know what to do. I mean, she is so sweet. I just am floored at her reaction all of a sudden. HELP ME please.

Another thing. My trainer advised if she's not heeling, and insisting on walking ahead of me to stand and wait on her. But that kinda makes me irritated. I mean, she's gonna smell and goof off and be stupid just like she wants to if I just stand there. For instance. We took her to the humane society last week. (no dogs in site - but im sure smells). She got a sore spot from her chip, and we wanted to make sure it was all right and still working blah blah. She went insane with smelling and just completely oblivious to anything we said. I feel like Im starting to have more bad than good days with her. At home, and at the trainer, she is perfection! But get her out and dang she's just the worst acting dog ever. I mean, she's the annoying kind of dog I dont like. I feel like I've paid $200 for training that only works at home. Like, so what, she can stay down... at home. Another dog passes and she becomes retarded I dont give a crap what you say dog. Im really discouraged with her right now.

How long have you had Riven? Often at about 3 mo after adoption the 'honeymoon' period ends and your new dog starts testing the boundaries. It's quite possible this, combined w/ adolescence, is what you're seeing with Riven.

My Maggie does the same "chase, growl, snap" display to certain dogs but, as I've learned, she will not hurt them and is really just the type of dog that needs a slow intro.

If you look at my "frustrated...sigh" post you'll get some more info on what Maggie is like - see if it sounds familiar or not. If I remember correctly, Riven has gotten along with other dogs before, so perhaps there's something about the dog she went after that has negative associations from her past? Or maybe she was picking out some trait in that dog she disliked? Maggie dislikes dogs with curly tails more than others - I have no idea why. She also tends to be more apt to chase older dogs, tho this isn't as big of a deal since she's 7 and many dogs are younger than her now.

BTW, to prevent the long line from sliding out from under your foot, tie knots in it every 18 inches or so - if she pulls on the lead when you are standing on it, the lead will get hung up with the knot on your shoe so she'll only get about 18 inches further at worst.

We all have times where our dogs seem to be creatures bent on driving us insane, but just remember that this too will pass with continued work on obedience and more time/maturity.

knots!!! what a great idea! I did read your post and I do think its a lot of the same actions. Riven likes to play hard with dogs I think. She always is really forward that I've seen.

We do have her about 3 months now too. You're a smart one lol..

Keep ideas coming please! I need help lol