BC Boards

I think I deserve an apology

Sheryl,

Pointing me to that thread doesn't exactly explain what *you* think is a put down or inflammatory. I read it again and still don't see that I said anything that was a put down of you or Dal. All I see is that I said that Dal's breeders didn't in my opinion have the best reasons for breeding. I certainly didn't say Dal was a bad dog, or that he shouldn't exist now that he's here. In fact, I think I said the opposite (the before the fact, after the fact statement). Maybe I'm just dense, but I think you're going to have to spell it out for me. I'm thinking this is a case of you reading something into what I said that wasn't there (that is, interpreting what I said as a personal insult or attack when it wasn't). If you'd rather do that privately that's fine, but if you prefer to post here that's okay too.

J.

I think my objection is to the prevailing attitude here that no matter what I say or facts are presented posters here come across with an attitude that they know better than you.

Its like watching Lillie at Glen highlands have to admit she found my 7 year olds sons relationship with the borders amazing. Frodo at 15 mo. is dedicated to him and would not leave him alone out in the field even though he was called repeatedly.

I'm not a bleeding heart liberal but, I think people can judge things and make good decisions.

Eidting to add That I also feel that I can teach people without hitting them over the head.

Bonnie admit's she has 2 dogs that are porkers. I can say well you should put them on a diet and work them even in their old age or I can say well to get Jewel to lose weight I have been giving her green beans with her food and I found glucosamine helped Kirby with the aches and pains of age to make him more active.

Its like watching Lillie at Glen highlands have to admit she found my 7 year olds sons relationship with the borders amazing.
Not to hijack the thread, but I was up at Glen Highland Farm last summer for camp with all three of my dogs! Isn't that place just amazing? That was one of the best weeks of my entire life and definitely the most fun my dogs have ever had in a week!

Sheryl,

I think where you're getting caught up is in your perception of people's attitudes. You can choose to be offended by people or you can choose to let it roll off your back. If you choose the former, you are likely to be upset all the time with people on these boards. People say things I don't agree with either, but I don't take it personally. The fact is that some of the people here *do* know better than you or me or others on these boards, including many new border collie owners. They have had working border collies for years, were involved in the "border collie wars," compete at the highest levels of agility, trial in sheep and cattle trials, rescue endless numbers of dogs, whatever. If you were to meet any of these offensive people in person, you would probably like them very much (even me, perhaps). What you get out of the comments posted on this board depends entirely on what you want to get out of them. If you come with a closed mind and the attitude "How dare these people tell me what I should do, or what I might have done wrong; I can judge things and make good decisions myself" then you will be constantly offended by what is said. I'm sure the statements I've made in this particular post will be offensive to you too, but really if you can't accept criticism, opinions that don't match your own, and blunt talk, forums such as this one probably aren't going to be a fun place for you to visit.

As for beating people over the head, personally I wouldn't take offense if someone told me "Your dog seems overweight, you might want to consider putting him on a diet," and that would be a whole lot clearer to me than having someone come along and say "I helped my dog lose weight by feeding him green beans." I suppose I can infer from the latter comment that the person thinks my dog is overweight, but maybe they just wanted to mention how clever they were at figuring out how to help their own dog lose weight. I don't see how being strightforward with someone instead of talking in circles is more helpful to a person. After all, isn't titling a thread "I think I deserve an apology" the very type of bluntness you're taking others to task for? And that's the last thing I think I need to say on this subject, since it's clear that we will only continue to disagree.

J.

Not to hijack the thread, but I was up at Glen Highland Farm last summer for camp with all three of my dogs! Isn't that place just amazing? That was one of the best weeks of my entire life and definitely the most fun my dogs have ever had in a week!

It seemed like nice place I was there at the end of Dec so it was icy and raining the enclosed pens were neat and the area seemed nice I look forward to returning for adoption weekend