BC Boards

aggression

This is a great thread. I have a rescue who definitely has some fear aggression issues as well as an incredible prey drive. I adopted her as a border collie but I think she might actually be all Aussie or a cross of the two. We keep working with her and she keeps getting a little better at a time but there are still situations I keep her out of. I absolutely keep her isolated from one particular neighborhood boy that she has problems with for some reason because I don't want to have to put her down if she manages to bite him. I'll be getting the suggested books ASAP but I wonder how those of you who don't agree with putting a dog away when there is potential for a problem would handle this... How do you recondition the dog without putting the dog in a situation where it is likely to bite a child?

The CU techniques work. My foster was snarly and fangy, but not exactly in the way you describe. In a group setting, we used some of the CU techniques and the dog relaxed and was able to refocus on me and the training at hand.

HighDesertSpice, I've noticed that you often completely alter your comments in your posts without making a note that they've been edited. Why?

HighDesertSpice, I've noticed that you often completely alter your comments in your posts without making a note that they've been edited. Why?

Hi Jack & Co.:

Hmmm. Oh, I have the bad habit of drafting, sending, reviewing, editing, sending, revising.....This compose interface is not the best...certainly not wysiwyg. I should stop using it from drafting my thoughts.

I do *sometimes* but not often edit my post...but not generally completely UNLESS someone complains, there's been a vociferous or obvious misinterpretation of what I've written, I didn't take enough time to collect my thoughts before "sending", or I wasn't being respectful.

I generally DO mark the "Edit" when for example, it's been a day or so, and I've time to rethink my thoughts. That said, I have been inconsistent with the use of "edit:" in those cases.

But it's interesting that you object to this when I *was* doing it correctly on this thread. I responded to Journey's & Shetlander's complaint above with an Edit.

But going forward, thanks to your pointing out that noting edits is ALWAYS proper etiquette (sp?).

Thanks for the correction, Jack & Co. :rolleyes:

Hi Jack & Co.:

Hmmm. I do *sometimes* edit my post...but not generally completely UNLESS someone complains, there's been a vociferous or obvious misinterpretation of what I've written, or I was being snotty. To be honest, I've been thinking about this. When do i stick my feet in the sand and that ol' Scotch Welsh stubborn streak pokes out it's inflexible head? Usually when someone is being rude, er, challenging.

What's interesting in this case, is that I did INDEED note the "Edit" in this post (see the

IN this case, sometime objected to my comment, and I didn't see any reason to not acknowledge the particular complaint in this particular thread.

But going forward, thanks to your pointing out that noting edits is proper etiquette (sp?), I will note all edits going forward.

Thanks for the correction, Jack & Co. :rolleyes:

I don't know how my question morphed into a "correction" directed at you. I'm not trying to be "rude" or "challenging"--it was simply a question! I did not point out your netiquette.

The Edit that you refer to was not a part of your original response, it was added to your second.

I don't know how my question morphed into a "correction" directed at you. I'm not trying to be "rude" or "challenging"--it was simply a question! I did not point out your netiquette.

The Edit that you refer to was not a part of your original response, it was added to your second.

Oh, I have the bad habit of drafting, sending, reviewing, editing, sending, revising.....This compose interface is not the best...certainly not wysiwyg. I should stop using it from drafting my thoughts.

Completed thought is now sent above.

EDIT due to typo:

The Edit that you refer to was not a part of your original response, it was added to your second..

Not sure why you think I'm seeing you as rude & challenging. I'm not. But you did correct me, and I accept corrections.

I DID note the edit in the thread about the books...I removed the original "poster's note" about the counter conditioning stuff not being all that pc for this board.

The second post was completely rewritten...I thought it was important to give testimony to the help I had received from the CU book.

Thank you for all of this advice. I am in the process of getting the books mentioned. I may have misspoken, she is not aggressive with all visitors. She's fine with 99% of them. I have observed something very interesting though. There are 2 new dogs next door (They've been here about a month). One is a 2 year old Aussie and the other is a 3 or 4 month old Lab/Beagle mix. When the Aussie is out she will run right into our yard to visit our dogs if they're out. The first time Alex had a fit. A great deal of posturing and growling. Last night was the second time they met and it went better. Alex and her met nose to nose. I let them do that for a little while and then the Aussie's owner came over. He felt he had to tell Alex if was ok and wanted to pet her. Luckily I saw this coming and stopped him mid armstretch, because Alex was not responding in a positive way. Then she went and stood by the door to let me know that she wanted to go in.

The first time she met the puppy was going well until he stole her frisbee. After that she would look at him and growl a little and I would tell her enough. When he was out I would tell her never mind and she wouldn't even look at him. Now she is expressing an interest. If I don't tell her never mind then she will look at him and wag her tail, with her ears up. I let her go see him today. She went the whole way with her tail wagging and ears in the happy alert position. They met nose to nose and sniffed each other for a little while. Then she came back to our yard.

I think we are making progress.