BC Boards

Exersize poll

How much exersize a day?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Thought this would be interesting!

• 0-1hour
    • 1-2hours
    • 2-3 hours
    • 3-4 hours
    • 4 + hours

40 minute walk in the morning, followed by 20 minutes of frisbee.

In the late morning/noonish time dad takes her to the dog park for an hour.

I take her to the dog park for and hour.

She gets a 30 minute walk an hour after the dog park.

About 30 minutes of agility training.

Then when darling friend Haley comes over, she gets about an hour of frisbee.

All in all, she gets about 4 hours. On my dads weekend (divorced parents, blechh) she gets nearly 5, weather permitting.

Mine get about an hour of ball and frisbee in the morning and an hour in the evening. Week-ends they get to go to the park, then there's obedience training and just playing around with each other. I've pretty much ended the playing fetch in the house. We save that for outside.

Of true exercise I would say Chesney gets about 2 hours a day if we're lucky. Time spent with me though of a 24 hour day I would say he's with me for about 18-20 of that :rolleyes:

I'd like to 2nd that. Usher has ALWAYS been by me. 24/7. Not one day away. Little worried about how he would react around another, but my BF is there and Usher respects him. He is Usher's inheritor.

I think I'm like the other working (sheep owning) people that have chimed in. Reading all the answers has me greatful that we have the set up we do.

DH puts them out anywhere from 5am or I do when I get up around 6:30am. They stay outside by choice playing with each other or the LGD's come up for a romp and then lay around the yard waiting for me to say breakfast. around 9am. After that, I might choose to work/train some of them (depending on the weather or my schedule) in the am or they happily lay around till late afternoon. At that time I let them all back out (Mick stays on the porch outside all day by choice) for another short romp with each other and potty time. Then I put the old girls back in the house if that's their choice then usualy take the others down to either do evening sheep chores or train them abit. All the training/chore time unless it's hoof trimming or worming time doesn't amount to much. morning and night amounts to less than a hour unless I'm really training hard or making things up to work on.

All in all, they really don't seem to need much more than what they get. Dew who's about 15 month +/- gets a bit wound up in the evening if I haven't let her work even a tiny bit (weather or work related) but she settles back down if she figures out we're not going out. I do see her doing the puppy zoomies in the morning by herself with a stick or some other treasure she's found. But she's the young one and has no other puppy in her life to romp with.

I think having this set up makes me spoiled. When I first started with BC's I took Jazz rollerblading everyday. We were up to about 10 miiles a day. I don't remember if she "had" to go. I just remember how much weight I lost. I wish I had somewhere to do that around here. Not for the dogs, for my butt! :rolleyes:

I have chatted with friends that are non sheep owning families that have found some sort of activies for their dogs to enjoy. BUt none of them are obsessives about what they do. They do it because they enjoy it and want that interaction time. I just happen to be lucky enough to get it on both the dogs and my favorite thing...sheep!

Kristen