BC Boards

Phoenix's Vet Visit!

Took my boy to the Vet for a check up and rabies vac yesterday.

He now weighs in at a whopping 45 lbs!!!!!!!! He is not overweight, can still feel the ribs etc, and the Vet said he was healthy. His littermate/sister (Amica)weighs a tiny, 28 lbs! Big difference, she was the runt of the litter, Phoenix was #2 biggest puppy. I wonder what #1 weighs now??!

As far as his aggression, it is definately getting better with, people (well adult people!).

He still does not like other dogs. He will settle eventually while they are "around", but his first reaction is like Cujo. He still dosen't seem to like little kids either. It is getting better with older kids, but the little squealy, fast, unpredictable one's, oh no, dosen't like them. I think he wants to herd them all up and put them in a corner, and say,

"Q U I E T !!!". Hmmm, I wonder if he is reading my mind! LOL.........

Actually he is good with my grandchildren 7 & 11, but overall not a kid dog at all. I have been concentrating his aggression training on adults, and just sitting at a distance from a playground with little ones. He will seriously act up, but I can eventually get him under control.

I think we have a long road to hoe!

He was great with the Vet, handling him and giving him his vaccination, didn't care too much for when the Dr. put his hand on his muzzle to lift his lips and check his teeth and gums, though. No growl, or biting, but you could see it in his face and body posture, "I don't like this, at all, Doc"! but after it was all over, he took treats from the Dr. All in all he wasn't tooooooo bad cept when other dogs came into the waiting room, for a few minutes.

Anyway, just wanted to tell ya'll how much he weighs now.

Curious to know how much ya'll adult BC's weigh and their gender. I think females generally weigh less...????

Here's the list:

Boy, M, 43 pounds

Willow, F, 37 pounds

Farleigh, M, 35 pounds

Jill, F, 38 pounds

Twist, F, 37 pounds

Kat, F, 36-37 pounds

I don't think you can generalize that males weigh more than females--a lot depends on the physical size of the dog as well. For example, Jill is much longer than Twist or Kat, but I keep her a little thin because of her hips. Boy is a bit chunky right now because we're still adjusting his thyroid meds, chunky being relative of course. Farleigh is bigger structurally than either Twist or Kat, but he's thinner because he has this OCD running in circles thing going.

J.

Julie, I agree with what you are saying, especially their build and bone structure, even in the same breed. I would think it really does vary alot with our BC's too. I remember our breeder being shocked when I told him Phoenix weighed a bit over 40 lbs, during last summer. He said none of his BC's have ever weighed that much. I think the really big difference is that Phoenix is primarily a "pet", not working the farm everyday (which would be my choice in a heartbeat!), like his parents. He get's good workouts and plenty of exercise and play, but nothing like farm working dogs get, for sure.

He looks good now, but I really don't want him to gain any more. I suppose when we get going on our herding classes, he will drop a little weight too.

My first BC boy weighed 50+ lbs., he was a big boy.

Guest amylobdell24

I guess my girl is a teeny one - she just turned a year old and is 35#. But a very lean 35! When we are doing both herding and agility training, she eats massive amounts (like 2 1/2 cups per day)of high calorie food and barely mantains this weight. It's amazing how her caloric needs increase and decrease based on activities we do only a couple times per week. I know keeping her light is good for her joints though, so I don't worry that much.

What a big boy! Glad everything is going good for him, training and all. Very good news

Dazzle, female (and runt of the litter) 30-35 pounds.

Her litter mates are around 35 (the females) to 38 or so for the two males. They are just over a year old now.