BC Boards

Cerf eye exams for puppies

Marilyn T

What is the purpose of doing a Cerf eye exam on a puppy if both parents are DNA normal for Cea, and are cerf'd yearly at the Finals? Just curious!

CERF exams cover more than CEA, they also examine for injury, as well other genetic diseases and disorders that can occur. For pup it's part of the pre-sale/pre-training exam for me. Things a CERF exam is looking for (genetic and congenital) are:

Entropion

Ectropion

Distichiasis

Ectopic cilia

Eury/Macroblepharon Third Eyelid:

Cartilage anomaly/eversion

Prolapsed gland

Cornea:

Corneal dystrophy-epithelial/stromal

Corneal dystrophy-endothelial

Inherited/Pannus

Exposure/Pigmentary Keratitis Iris:

Iris/Ciliary Body Cyst

Iris Coloboma

Persistent pupillary membrane iris to iris

Persistent pupillary membrane all others

Iris Hypoplasia

Lens:

Cataract*significance unknown

Vitreous:

Persistant hyloid artery

Vitreous degeneration syneresis

Vitreous degeneration ant chamber

Fundus:

Retinal dysplasia-folds

Choroidal hypoplasia

Staphyloma/Coloboma

Retinal hemorrhage

Micropapilla

CERF exams also track disease within breeds so a problem can be addressed by the breed clubs according to signficance.

And all these are possible on a 7 week old puppy? The reason I ask, is prior to DNA testing, I tested all my babies I purchased or raised before 12 weeks to catch the go normals. The Opthamalogist acted like I was nutty but took my money. I am expecting a litter in 10 days from two normal DNA individuals, and was surprised to hear of someone else cerfing all the puppies anyway.

And all these are possible on a 7 week old puppy? The reason I ask, is prior to DNA testing, I tested all my babies I purchased or raised before 12 weeks to catch the go normals. The Opthamalogist acted like I was nutty but took my money. I am expecting a litter in 10 days from two normal DNA individuals, and was surprised to hear of someone else cerfing all the puppies anyway.

I have no idea if all are possible, but I have seen mild entroprian and iris colobomas in another closely related breed at that age. So far all the BCs I've looked at at that age are normal, and I hope it stays that way. I would be reluctant not to check - both for buyers and for myself. Some opthal. vets are relucatant to formally "CERF" pass the pups at that age, but they will do the exam and fill out the form. Which is all I want myself.

If all you are worried about is CEA then don't do it.

If all you are worried about is CEA then don't do it.

And in a seven week old puppy, you're not likely to be looking for anything else. I would go as far as to say that as a breeding tool in Border collies the opthalmic exam is pretty much done. There's nothing regarding CEA that the exam will tell you that the optigen test won't, and you can learn a whether a dog is an unaffected carrier from the DNA test; something the eye exam can't tell you.