BC Boards

BC ebay find made me burst into tears!

This is the saddest bit of BC memorabilia I have ever found! It is a vintage picture postcard of a border collie moping by a dead baby's crib! I know it was staged, and that Victorians loved such schmaltzy tragedy, but still I looked at it and went WAA-AAA-AAHHH!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/MOURNING-BORDER-COLLIE...bayphotohosting

Then I thought about buying it, then I felt like a ghoul, then I felt like a sucker, then I thought about buying it again.

Yep, that's a sad little BC!

Originally posted by Joe Anne:

Yep, that's a sad little BC!

Well, now, maybe. He looks sad. But he could just be looking for a hidden cookie, too Below is my Lhasa's favorite trick where he looks very sad and appealing. I used to call cue it with "Sad" but since he kept wagging his tail, I now ask him if he's a Rotten Dog. He looks very pathetic, but he's totally concentrating on how soon he can get his treat :rolleyes:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c312/She...ChiliRotten.jpg

God thats awful! I cried too!

A postcard???

Why on earth would anybody want to send that to someone? Just for the h**l of it?

"Hmmm, I think my bestfriend could use a really good downer. I think I'll send her this card cause its so wonderfully depressing."

Strange. . .

Some people's emotions are more available than other people's. Some folks have different triggers. You never know who just had a miscarriage, or lost a pet or just had a bad day. I happen to have a very liquid imagination and can easily enter a scene. It doesn't diminish the gut punch of an image just because it is on ebay.

Funny, but if it was a schnauzer or some other non -BC dog, I don't think it would have had the same effect. I just automatically ascribe a greater depth and range of feeling and comprehension to BCs.

Funny, but if it was a schnauzer or some other non-BC dog, I don't think it would have had the same effect.
Maybe because with a different dog it wouldn't seem as real. We all know that a BC can understand a situation, like a loss, more then any other dog. So you start thinking "the dog is sad because the child is dead" (and it could happen) but with another dog you might think "the dog is sad because the child can't play" or something like that.

Still sad though :rolleyes:

That was sad. I think it is because we have all been there, or felt like that. Hey, so did you buy it. I saw it had a bid. I agree, why would you send it to someone. It doesn't make much sense. lol. God Bless