BC Boards

A Superior Moment

We did our one NADAC trial for the year this past weekend, and for the most part, Wick was like a car without brakes or steering. But ... in her favourite class, Tunnelers, she was awesome, and finished her Superior Elite Tunnelers title (20 Qs). For the past couple of years, we've only done one NADAC trial a year, so I am quite proud of her accomplishment on such a spartan schedule. She is 21/22 in Elite Tunnelers, and though we have, er, challenges in other classes, at least she can do one thing well!

That's very cool! There's nothing like watching superfast dogs (like Wick) do tunnelers to make me feel all warm and fuzzy about agility. I sometimes think it's the purest form of FUN that exists here on earth :rolleyes: Go Wick go!

Um, did you say you had a picture of Wick rocketing out of a tunnel to show us?

WTG Wick. I've only ever seen Tunnelers on vidoe (including Wick), but it just looks like the best fun. We don't have NADAC down here at all, but one day I have dreams of getting a Tunnelers course set up even if it's just for fun. We probably have just about enough tunnels in the state now to do it.

Commiserations on the not so good runs - no brakes or steering huh - know how that feels :rolleyes: . Although I have to say Kirra is paying a lot more attention to me now - which is good news, but puts more onus on me to handle her well. We have our last agility/jumping show for the year on Saturday - I'm out to have fun - I have small ambitions. My out of control boy is having his first run in Novice Jumpers - should be entertainment value at least.

Um, did you say you had a picture of Wick rocketing out of a tunnel to show us?

I don't have any new pictures of rocket dog, so the following will have to suffice:

wick_tunnel.jpg

All the dogs seem to enjoy Tunnelers the most. I guess it gives them a chance to cut loose and leave their handlers in the dirt. Barb, you totally need to set up a course and play with your club. Let me know if you need any course maps - it's a blast! (though your dogs may go through a bout of extreme tunnel sucking after playing this game).

We don't have NADAC down here at all

Maybe not in Tasmania, but not too far away in Victoria it looks like there's a trial or two almost every month of the year. Check the NADAC calendar here. Also, look at NADACAustralia. There's even an Australian NADAC National Championship each year.

Thanks for that, Alaska. Yes, Victoria is not too far as the crow flies - it's just the largish stretch of water that separates Tasmania from the mainland that's the problem - 11 hour ferry trip - costs about $800 to get there and back with car and dogs. I just had a look at the calendar to see if there were any NADAC trials that would coincide with when I'm going to be over there anyway, but sadly there weren't.

Kristi, that picture is wonderful. Seems to encapsulate Wick as we've come to know her through your descriptions. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the offer of course maps too - I'll take you up on that - PM you when I check how many tunnels we can muster. Am I right in thinking we'd need about 9 - all flexi, or can you include collapsibles?

And a little bit of tunnel suck would be good at present - my girl has gone off tunnels a bit - my crappy handling of off-entries has made her a bit hesitant I think. She'll usually take a contact in preference if there's a tunnel/contact discrimination.

Am I right in thinking we'd need about 9 - all flexi, or can you include collapsibles?

I've never seen a collapsible (chute) in NADAC, never mind Tunnelers. Having looked through the course book, I can say with near-certainty that you won't need a chute. I also think that 9 tunnels should be fine. I will see what I have in terms of courses that use 9 or less tunnels.

Nope - no chute in NADAC. When they used to have it (a long time ago, I think) it had to be either the first or last obstacle.

Love Wick's pic! She's got that 'crazed' 'oh my gosh it's all tunnels' look.

When you look for tunnels, you can use shorter ones (eg 10') for straight tunnels like for starting and ending tunnels. That should save some money. Then 15 - 20' ones for curved tunnels. Course will typically use one or more tunnels twice, thus decreasing the total number you need to have.

Here in the states I bought mine from Rocket Tunnels. Because just me and some friends, I didn't buy a competition tunnel which also saved some dollars.

Liz D and Tux who have been in NADAC novice for like 5 years or so! We like to keep the beginners company.