BC Boards

Anal Glands

Toby was at the vet this morning for his annual check up. He got scared when the tech came out to show us into the room. He sort of jumped and barked at her. Later in the room he scooted a little and I said that was weird because he had never scooted before. Then she mentioned she could smell his anal glands so he probably released them when he got scared of her. It wasn't a pleasant smell but it also wasn't overpowering or anything. Later today Toby was sleeping in my office when a gentleman came in, Toby was again startled and barked a bit before realizing this guy was ok. This time he must have really released his anal glands because the smell is overpowering to say the least. I have sprayed Febreeze air freshener and now my office smells like Febreeze with anal glands. My assisstant has taken Toby outside to play in the snow to see if she can wipe his bum off a little because the oils might be lingering there and causing the smell to not dissipate.

This has never happened before, I would never forget that smell. Is this something that I am going to have to live with or did Toby's glands just need emptying and it shouldn't happen again until they fill again?? Please tell me it is the latter because I can't have my office smelling like that. I am sure my visitor thought I had terrible gas!! Oh dear!!

Ah, stinky fishbutt. Everyone's favorite smell.

I would have the vet show you how to empty his anal glands and just do it regularly so that he doesn't have much to release. Wear gloves. Disposable ones.

Also, if he is often startling at people who come into rooms I would address this. Manage his environment so he is not constantly put in that situation unless you can make it a positive learning experience for him. He may need some remedial socialization/desensitization. Make sure people can't just barge in, and have them give him treats or toss a ball when they come in.

I agree that you should get your vet to show you how to express the glands. Its smelly, and usually a two-person job, but its quick and it helps. Ido doesn't do a good job of expressing hers on a regular basis, they tend to get full, so hers get expressed almost once a month or so...

Lets just say I'm just glad I have more than one there :D After the scond or third, "whoops, sorry 'bout that" I give up and go out to the office :rolleyes:

Oh yes... the lovely aroma. Zoe does that in her crate when she's really scared (like when we bring home a new appliance or something equally terrifying). Unfortunately, the crate is in our bedroom. :rolleyes: Yum? Luckily it only happens every few months...