BC Boards

Growing pains for Polly

Polly--5months--has been limping. first one leg and then the other. it seems to be worse right after she wakes up from a long nap. vet says pano or "growing pains." i've seen a few posts about limping, but was wondering what everyone thinks about the anti-inflamatory metacam for this treatment. the vet also said no running, jumping, steps- AHHHH! Before i took her to the vet today, I had called and they said to restrict her activity over the weekend. WE ALL WENT NUTS!! I told the vet to just prescribe valium for the whole family--including Polly, if you think we can go very long without heavy-duty playing!! sigh. we've upped the mental stimulation, and she is allowed to take short walks, but it sure is hard. thanks in advance for your help.

The vet I work for uses metacam all the time for panosteitis. Most clients really notice a difference. He's probably been using it for 3-4 years for it and never had any problems with the drug. Its good because its a liquid so you can decrease the dose to the lowest effective dose. I dont think my vet tells people to really restrict activity...but then again I'm not in the room with him.

The vet wants us to restrict Polly's activity for the two weeks that she is on metacam. I guess the medication can mask pain?? Then if symptoms return, the vet might do x-rays. I wasn't sure about that, since it would seem that growing pains CAN come and go on an ongoing basis. It looks like the limping thing can be tricky in regard to finding the cause, treatment, and how to balance activity levels. I appreciate the vet being conservative--I think she wanted to make sure that it WAS pano before she released Polly to her normal wacky activity level. Polly is disgusted with us--we are trying to keep play low key and she keeps looking at us like "come

ON!!--you are boring me!" Thanks for your response!

Has Polly been tested for Lyme? Pano is usually associated with large breed dogs. Do you have her on a puppy food? I think with Pano it's recommended to feed a lower protein food (I don't give puppies puppy food at all). I don't think that exercise is generally restricted for Pano but I'm not a vet so I'm not positive.

No, she hasn't been tested for lyme. She has been eating canidae for the last two months or so--I learned from the posts here that I shouldn't have her on puppy food. I think the protein level is around 23%?? She is 25 pounds--and is very lean and muscular. She is gangly right now, all ears and legs--when she perks her ears up, it's like she's opening mini umbrellas--lol.

My Speck had pano. I was sure it was lymes or some other tick borne virus having just lost a 5yr old JRT to lymes. My former vet was hell bent on him having some kind of virus so he prescribed all kinds of antibiotics which he prescribed at 1/3 of the effect dose for his size as we came to find out. Without much improvment and increased frustration we went to a new dr who xrayed and diagnosed pano, sent us home on a low dose nsaid and we were good to go! I think it the symptoms let up after just a day or two and he was on the nsaid for about a week.