BC Boards

Unpopular Pooch

Ceana is not allowed loose around other dogs. I know that she will bite, and I as well do not want to risk her being labeled as dangerous. I do not think she has a kick me sign on her though. Dogs will come up to her and try and intoduce themselves, she just gets cranky as can be. She like to be the one to approach and we don't trust her so this doesn't get to happen very often. After a few growls and pearly smile exchanges no one seems interested in her anymore, and then she is ostracized. this seems fine by her as she thinks people are a lot more fun-- they will throw your ball.

Ceana is not allowed loose around other dogs. I know that she will bite, and I as well do not want to risk her being labeled as dangerous. I do not think she has a kick me sign on her though. Dogs will come up to her and try and intoduce themselves, she just gets cranky as can be.

Pippin is like that too--dogs come up to her to say hi and she often seems like she's going to be fine, so they keep coming and if I'm not on top of it, asking her to look away, she will nail them. Then, none of the dogs wants to be around her anymore. And the people (particularly the retriever folks) think she's vicious--which is really hard for her because she loves people more than anything in the entire world.

She *really* wants to play with Rafe, but she nailed him so many times when he was younger that he always looks a little worried and she's still not beyond playing for a minute and then flashing her smile at him. As a youngster, he was a total bafoon and deserved what he got from her--but now, he's a pretty suave guy most of the time. She has an extremely precise sense of personal space as well.

Pippin also H.A.T.E.S poodles of any sort and any poodle derivatives and also doesn't like retrievers. Hamish likes those o.k., but hasn't met a Toller he didn't want a piece of. Rafe also seems to dislike poodles.

Tansy is the dog that no other dog wants to play with--she doesn't have a "kick me" sign--more like an "I don't get it" sign. I think I've only met one dog who really wanted to play with her (one of our fosters). She wants to play, but she doesn't seem to speak dog very well. Interestingly enough, Pippin has never snarked at Tansy.

Pippin also H.A.T.E.S poodles of any sort and any poodle derivatives and also doesn't like retrievers. Hamish likes those o.k., but hasn't met a Toller he didn't want a piece of. Rafe also seems to dislike poodles.

Thats kinda funny. Missy was under socialized as a young dog and it was a long process to get her comfortable around other dogs. Most were too much in her face. She hated that and would tell them so. However, she loved the poodle I just got done working with. Caniche was very playful, but respected Missy's space. Missy loved seeing her each day and played with her more than she's ever played with another dog in her life.

Neither of mine have a "kick me" sign :D , but I think it's interesting to watch my Lhasa interact with my collies. Night and day difference.

Violet is terrified of Arlo (Lhasa), and goes out of her way to give him plenty of space - it's a lot like the way most people react to rattlesnakes. :D But she's sooo terrified that she gets her body language all wrong - instead of rolling over and being submissive, she'll panic and try to blow past him, which gets his goat every time. So he runs her down and I wind up having to pluck snarling Lhasa out of her fur. :rolleyes:

Faith, who has a fantastic time just being Faith :D , gets along great with the little troll. He's thirteen and a little fragile due to his size and some old back problems, but the two of them are great playmates. Faith will roll over on her back and gently tap Arlo's face with her giant paws, which is the signal for him to give a great snarl and leap onto her exposed belly. They both think this is a wonderful joke - probably because it gave the rest of us a near coronary the first time we saw it happen :D - and will play until they fall asleep next to each other.

I think it says alot about how we often create our own realities. :D

Sophie used to wear an "I think you just kicked me! Oh yeah?" sign. She saw challenges where there were none. She has space issues, but more problematic were her "look" issues. If a dog looked at her, even from across the street, if it didn't look away immediately, she decided it was a threat. She'd lock eyes, her fur would piloerect, she'd step forward, and start lunging and barking. This usually happened at the end of a leash, but not always. It happened when she wasn't on a leash, too. (She wasn't one of those awful on leash but great otherwise dog. She could be pretty awful with no leash anywhere to be seen.) In her case, I think it stemmed at least partially from being jumped twice at the dog park within a few weeks' time when she was about six months old. We've worked on it a bunch (and never step foot in dog parks anymore), and she's much, much better these days. Still not 100% trustworthy, though, especially around--you guessed it--labs and poodles :rolleyes:

I am glad to know my dog is not the only one. She is a spayed Female. And she has been around other dogs a lot. I got her from a rescue 2 weeks ago, and they had dogs and cats all over the place. She seems to have certain dogs she stays clear of, but she was swarmed by 3 great danes at the park the other day and didnt flinch...so I dont think she is scared. As dogs approach her they appear friendly then they growl when they get close, and only after they growl she growls back...maybe she has offessive breath? She makes a lot of eye contact, I thought maybe they didnt like that. She is just so incredibly different than my last dog that I am having trouble figuring her out.

post-8024-1194028765_thumb.jpg

As dogs approach her they appear friendly then they growl when they get close, and only after they growl she growls back...maybe she has offessive breath? She makes a lot of eye contact, I thought maybe they didnt like that. She is just so incredibly different than my last dog that I am having trouble figuring her out.

Yes, in dog language a direct stare is normally a sign of aggression. My Violet scares the bejesus out of our two neighborhood hooligans, chow mixes I call the Ghost and the Darkness. Their owners allow them to roam at will and we often meet them on our morning walks. Violet, she who is terrified of the Lhasa, drops into her creepy-crawly sheepdog crouch and stares at them, whereupon G & D turn tail for home. :rolleyes:

Border Collies seem to have a highly developed sense of personal space (makes sense) while retrievers have approximately zero sense of personal space.

I think this is exactly what goes on. That said, Boonie, aside from his space ignorance, is a polite boy and never inspires attacks...except for..... Oreo....

As for Hailey, she ok for the most part except for the Basenjii down the street who sends her into on-leash convulsions....

This is an interesting thread. We just got back from a 4-day road trip. One of the stops was at my sister's house, where our dogs met for the first time.

Her Cassie is a very submissive, undersocialized, rather neurotic spayed female labradoodle, about a year old. She has an eating disorder, eats all kinds of weird things, has had stomach surgery to get a rock out, has to be carefully supervised at all times. Kaylee is a 5-month-old unspayed BC, who's confidence has been building. She's been going to the dog park and playing with the big dogs, and is very brave. I've never seen her act aggressively, though.

It didn't work. Cassie barked at the stranger in her back yard, and Kaylee barked back, with an aggressive, "I'm gonna kick you, because you are sooo wearing a sign" sort of bark. I mean there was some tailwagging, too, and I think she might have played after an initial sizing-up, if Cassie had been up for it. But Cassie was terrified, and we put her in the house alone.

And as we played with Kaylee and watched her learn the on-site rules, watched her learn to roll a basketball with her nose, so fast we couldn't catch her...

I was struck again by the grace, intelligence and adaptability of my BC. She's a double-handful to deal with at times, but I can see her developing into a fabulous dog. I feel that I'm being challenged by her excellence, to provide her with opportunities to be her best.

And I'm glad she don't wear no doodle 'Kick Me!' sign.