BC Boards

Cut Pad Keeps Bleeding

bexie

Molly cut her pad on her one back foot on the outermost toe about a week and a half ago. It was a clean cut and bled a lot. She did limp a bit the first few days, but nothing major. She tends to lift it when squatting, but otherwise use it normally.

The thing is that we still get blood spots from it on the floor occasionally when she's been playing. She gets a round of zoomies once in a while (I didn't take her to the beach much last week because of the amount of summer guests so she'd a little less exercise than we'd like) and it ends when the cut starts bleeding again.

She did this yesterday when DH was home and played a bunch with her. I just checked and the cut doesn't look inflamed at all (she does NOT like having me check it. we're going to have to work more on letting people check her out, but I think it is partly because it is sore. She's isn't this grumpy when we clip her nails).

Should I worry that it is still not closed at this point? Should we be doing more with it? We did try washing it and using the skin healer we use for the horses, but keeping a bandage on is a challenge and then it stopped bothering her. But now I am wondering if I should worry when she can still rip it open so easily.

I tried searching, but cut pad is too short. I did read back and found one old thread that recommended washing with betadine, but I don't have any on hand. I'm not sure how easily I can get a hold of something similar here and if it would make sense so long after the original injury.

Molly doesn't seem bothered except right when she rips it open again, but I worry that she'll end up with a recurring injury that could last for months. Am I just being paranoid?

Thanks!

bexie

She may need to have a vet examine it, and possibly knock her out, and treat it by either sutures/glue, and/or heavily bandaging it, so that she can't put pressure on it and make it split open. Recently when my girl cut her pad, I soaked her foot in betadine with water (so it looks like weak tea), and that hastened the healing so fast, it was amazing. I would get her looked at, as it has been 1.5 weeks now.

Molly cut her pad on her one back foot on the outermost toe about a week and a half ago. It was a clean cut and bled a lot. She did limp a bit the first few days, but nothing major. She tends to lift it when squatting, but otherwise use it normally.

The thing is that we still get blood spots from it on the floor occasionally when she's been playing. She gets a round of zoomies once in a while (I didn't take her to the beach much last week because of the amount of summer guests so she'd a little less exercise than we'd like) and it ends when the cut starts bleeding again.

She did this yesterday when DH was home and played a bunch with her. I just checked and the cut doesn't look inflamed at all (she does NOT like having me check it. we're going to have to work more on letting people check her out, but I think it is partly because it is sore. She's isn't this grumpy when we clip her nails).

Should I worry that it is still not closed at this point? Should we be doing more with it? We did try washing it and using the skin healer we use for the horses, but keeping a bandage on is a challenge and then it stopped bothering her. But now I am wondering if I should worry when she can still rip it open so easily.

I tried searching, but cut pad is too short. I did read back and found one old thread that recommended washing with betadine, but I don't have any on hand. I'm not sure how easily I can get a hold of something similar here and if it would make sense so long after the original injury.

Molly doesn't seem bothered except right when she rips it open again, but I worry that she'll end up with a recurring injury that could last for months. Am I just being paranoid?

Thanks!

bexie

If it were my dog, I'd keep her quiet for minimum 1 week (ie no skidding, fast turning movements because that will just open it up again and delay healing). I would also bandage it to further protect it and change the bandage at least once a day. Soaking it in dilute betadine several times a day would be good too. I'd probably also have an E-collar on to make sure she doesn't like at it (also really helps if the dog doesn't want you looking at it and tries to snap/bite because the collar usually gets inbetween their teeth and your hand).

Pads are quite tough and can be hard to suture and have the sutures stay and hold the cut closed.

Magic tore her pad 3 weeks ago and the vet gave me Tinctured Iodine mixed 3 parts water 1 part iodine. This worked great and has healed very well. One word of warning iodine stings, even watered down. Magic did not like it and beared her teeth at me. I just called her bluff and got it done quickly. ( she has never bit )

Thanks for the feedback. We'd decided to wash with what we use for the horses (an old fashioned soap that aids healing) and bandage with the skin healer if she did it again, but she hasn't. Of course the minute I decide to ask, she quits ripping it open. I've gotten a few more looks at it, and it doesn't look irritated and no signs of openness, but there wasn't that most of the time last week either.

DH is also going to help me train her to allow exams of her feet and everything else, since she isn't always very good about that.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the feedback. We'd decided to wash with what we use for the horses (an old fashioned soap that aids healing) and bandage with the skin healer if she did it again, but she hasn't. Of course the minute I decide to ask, she quits ripping it open. I've gotten a few more looks at it, and it doesn't look irritated and no signs of openness, but there wasn't that most of the time last week either.

DH is also going to help me train her to allow exams of her feet and everything else, since she isn't always very good about that.

Just for future searching reference my Tate cut his pads quite a bit last winter and we took him to the vet once and have copied their procedure since then.

If there is any loose / dead skin cut it away then apply neosporin generously to the affected area. Pack the paw with cotton balls then wrap with gauze. After the gauze wrap with the self adhering colored wrap (buy for $3 @ Petsmart) and you are good to go. Keeps the cut clean, the neosporin helps it heal fast and you won't have the wound split open unexpectedly.

You can also grab a sock + a hair tie and cover up the affected paw while inside to let it heal / keep it dry.