BC Boards

Behavior testing

Glen Ridge Farm is considering Charlie. The only thing we have left is behavior test. She passed at the humane society but they do not trust that. They just want to know how she does with strangers (we know she loves them), how she is when you touch her ears and paws ( we know she loves to be touched anywhere) and food aggressive (again, you can take her food away from her without a problem) Charlie is in Michigan. My daughter is checking at the vet school if a veterinarian will do. Should we just call a behaviorist?

Glen Ridge Farm is considering Charlie. The only thing we have left is behavior test. She passed at the humane society but they do not trust that. They just want to know how she does with strangers (we know she loves them), how she is when you touch her ears and paws ( we know she loves to be touched anywhere) and food aggressive (again, you can take her food away from her without a problem) Charlie is in Michigan. My daughter is checking at the vet school if a veterinarian will do. Should we just call a behaviorist?

Do you know what evaluation system is used by the Humane Society? Why don't you trust it? I have been trained and have used three different evaluation techniques: Sus Sternberg's Assess-a-Pet, Emily Weiss' SAFER testing (not certified yet) and Patricia Simonet's evaluation. They are all similar. All of them tell you what the dog is like at the time it is evaluated. Different circumstances may elicit different behaviors. There is NO evaluation tool that is foolproof. If Charlie has been consistent in his behaviors with various people and in the evaluation he has been given, that is the best you can get from anyone. If "they" don't trust the evaluation Charlie has been given, "they" will not be able to trust any of them. It sounds like "they" are expecting the impossible. Sorry.

Kathy Robbins

What is she considering Charlie for?

My daughter may have to rehome her bc mix because she is in vet school and her time is so limited she is feeling Charlie is better off in a hmoe where she can be more active.. We found http://www.glenhighlandfarm.com/ and they are considering taking Charlie. They want another behavior test done on her beside the one the Humane Society has done. I guess this is just to see what her temperment is like before they accept her. I posted Glen Ridge before that is a mistake.

Why don't you email them and ask what they want you to do specifically? Ask for a list of what they want done, and by whom.

It is important for the dog to be tested with a stranger because some dogs trust their people and are comfortable in their comfort zone, but things can change with strangers.

You might need a behavorist, but you might not. In any case, I would ask for specific instructions before taking any further steps.

I agree with Root Beer. Also find out what type of evaluation was done and why Glen Highland doesn't trust it. It IS true that inept evaluators can skew the test results, and they may have had some bad experiences before. Since your daughter is in vet school, they should have a behaviorist there who can help, but yes, ask GHF if they approve first, and what exactly they want done.

Kathy Robbins

I agree with Root Beer. Also find out what type of evaluation was done and why Glen Highland doesn't trust it. It IS true that inept evaluators can skew the test results, and they may have had some bad experiences before. Since your daughter is in vet school, they should have a behaviorist there who can help, but yes, ask GHF if they approve first, and what exactly they want done.

Kathy Robbins

GHF said either a vet or behaviorist. My daughter is checking with the school today if one of the vets will do it for her. Thanks