BC Boards

Foundation training for agility

I have been doing agility for nearly a year. I started at my local dog club with my then 6 yo ACD. It is a small country club with only about 6 people doing agility so we dont really have a trainer. We kind of get by with practice once every week or two.

Fortunately my ACD due to a strong relationship with me has done really well in trials in the city and has progressed out of novice in the space of 4 trials. She seems to know where I want her to go and does it with great enthusiasm so I think our success has been largely due to her as I havnt a clue what I am doing!.

She has recently done her second cruciate so we are currently recovering from this.

Realising that despite her obvious talent my ACD is 7 and has 2 cruciate repairs, I recently adopted a young BC who is now nearly 8 months old. My BC is going to be fast and being young we havnt got the automatic team thing happening like my ACD and me.

I have never done foundation work and the others at agility class havnt really either and I think our dogs are all worse off because of it especially as we progress towards the higher levels. I dont want to start just running courses when my BC gets to 12 months, I want to try and learn and teach her a good foundation before we go near a course.

I have recently purchased Jumping A-Z by Chris Zink, Flatwork for agility by Barb Levenson and In Focus Foundation work by Deborah Jones and One Jump by Susan Garrett. I am following a lot of the information contained in these books and DVDS with my BC and my ACD as she recovers from her TPLO and am finding it very usefull

Have any of you experienced agility people got any tips or advice on really essential DVDS or books I should be looking at.

Any advice greatly appreciated

I would also suggest the Greg Derret DVDs, esp the first one, it teaches alot of foundation and shadow handling, which is a really good way to teach the dog without any agility obstacles. I am sure you can get these from Clean Run.

I would also suggest the Greg Derret DVDs, esp the first one, it teaches alot of foundation and shadow handling, which is a really good way to teach the dog without any agility obstacles. I am sure you can get these from Clean Run.

Also Kim Collins book on foundation work is excellent. She is a trainer and competitor from Prince George, British Columbia and we have been very good friends for many years. Her website is Pawsitive Steps.

Her foundation work that she does with dogs is excellent and the book is very user friendly.

Also Kim Collins book on foundation work is excellent. She is a trainer and competitor from Prince George, British Columbia and we have been very good friends for many years. Her website is Pawsitive Steps.

Her foundation work that she does with dogs is excellent and the book is very user friendly.

And it has great pictures of my dogs in it. :rolleyes: Not that I am biased or anything, but it is a great book. North of 49 who are you? We must know each other....

The book is called From the Ground Up and is available through dogsport and clean run.

And it has great pictures of my dogs in it. :rolleyes: Not that I am biased or anything, but it is a great book. North of 49 who are you? We must know each other....

The book is called From the Ground Up and is available through dogsport and clean run.

Ditto on Kim's book - I really like how it's written and the way she lays things out. I like Susan's One Jump DVD, and while I have the Flatwork book, I much prefer Kim's.

OT - herdingrescue - where are the jorja pics?!?

OT - herdingrescue - where are the jorja pics?!?

Here she is about a month ago. Her ears just kept getting bigger and bigger and bigger.....

IMG_0276.jpg

Until they fell over, now they are on their way back up again. Here she is this morning the little pest. She loves to roll in dirt, so she gets to dry off in the mud room.

IMG_0348.jpg

Wheeeeeee - she is damn cute! She sure is growing up fast though - huge difference in four weeks. Hopefully we'll make it up to camp next year and can see your growing pack. Do you still have the rough collie girl?

Yes I do have my geriatric collie. She is great. I really love her, it is nice to have a dog who is happy to just hang out. :rolleyes: Also still have Kedo the aussie and the two bc's. Full house!