BC Boards

I left with 1 BC and came home with 2 BC's ....

only breifly, the dog had a tattoo so I called the shelter and they gave me the dogs address. but I was ridng my boke with Happy when this very large BC mix comes running aross the street to say hi to Happy, I grabbed the dogs collar and was looking around waiting for someone to claim this dog, there were tons of people around afterall, I had assumed he belonged to one of them, but I was on my bike holding one random dog by the collar and trying to keep my fear aggressive dog under control, not one of the many people around offerned to help so I was like stuck there, finally I got off my bike and I manged to walk my bike with one hand while holding this other dog in my other hand, and trying not to run Happy off the sidewalk as it aint easy controling a bike with one hand, when the dog in your other hand is pulling you all over the place lol. I finally made it home and I looked the dog over, founmd a tatoo, called the HS and they gave me the dog address I took him back home. I have to say, I have returned plenty of dogs to their owners, but this one I felt bad, he's obviously an outdoor dog, had a teeny little yard with a tie out in it, a dog house, his food and water beside the dog house, and they appeared to be in the middle of installing a dog door on the garage. not to mention he was terrably ungroomed, in the pics he looks obviously black and white, but in RL I honestly could not tell if he was black or brown, he was all matted.

he looks very BC, but he's HUGE, Happy is 21" tall and this boy made Happy look teeny lol

IMG_6438.jpg

IMG_6439.jpg

IMG_6440.jpg

Guest WoobiesMom

Poor pup! :rolleyes: Gah, why do people do that??? Why not just get a garden gnome for goodness sake! Grr...

On the topic of tattoos, a local obedience school will soon be holding a clinic and I was wondering about it. Is there a central registry? Where was this dog's tattoo? I've seen them on inner thighs and ears, is there a standard place? Even though Woobie has a chip, if he were to escape and a good samaritan like yourself found him, I'd like a backup identification should his collar be lost.

tattoo's are normally in the ear, usually(but not always) if its on the inner thigh, then it was done when the dog was a very young pup. as for a ceteral registry? I have no idea how it works in other places, but here the tattoos are connected to the vets, each vet has there own code in the tattoo and the HS has access to all of it. if someone finds your dog all they have to do is call the HS read off the tattoo and they'll be put right in touch with you.

tattoo's are normally in the ear, usually(but not always) if its on the inner thigh, then it was done when the dog was a very young pup. as for a ceteral registry? I have no idea how it works in other places, but here the tattoos are connected to the vets, each vet has there own code in the tattoo and the HS has access to all of it. if someone finds your dog all they have to do is call the HS read off the tattoo and they'll be put right in touch with you.

I had someone come out to my place when I lived in OR. to do my dogs and my neighbors Aussie's and all of our friends dogs. Pretty cheap when you have a group together. We opted on the thigh. I put my OR. Driver's license on all of mine. That usually doesn't change unless you get divorced and move to another state- LOL. BUT- I bet they could track it. It said ODL- and the #. I'm close enough to OR. I'm sure someone would figure it out. Migraine was only 5 months old and they wouldn't do hers, strange. I'm looking for a tattoo artist here in Boise and have checked with vets & our local club and can't find a one. IDEAS?

Sorry alitte off subject, but I think interesting. I have a friend who had her horses eye lids tattooed. His eye lids would get tumors on the all the time because they were pink. They had to keep a mask on him all the time to keep from getting them. Their vet tattooed the eye lids white. You have to look very close to even tell.