BC Boards

One More Sleep!

Its official, just one more sleep and we can pick up my baby boy from his breeder! I am so excited I feel like a kid at christmas! I have become a dog toy shop-a-holic (Tia, our Shar-Pei is not in the least bit interested in toys, but I hope she learns to be more like a dog with a puppy in the house) and I have barely slept all week - yeah how dumb is that just before I bring a little puppy into the house who will wake me up during the night to go potty!

Everything is all sorted for him, toys, leads, collar, crate etc. I plan on clicker training him and also toilet training using the crate and the umbilical method (once he learns to walk on lead) - although as we are home virtually all the time I worry that this may cause separation anxiety when we do have to go out, so I am hoping that having everyone in the family supervise him on lead, and giving him yummy/interesting toys and treats when he has crate/alone time will avoid SA developing. LOL - but he is my first BC so please feel free to shoot holes in my plan, I'd rather a change of plan now than try and reverse the effects of a mistake on our part.

I think I am about to hyperventilate! Look out for lots of baby photos:)

Michelle

soon-to-be-BC-mum

I forgot to add, we still havn't settled on a name for him yet...Jedi, Mojo, Taj, Neo, Lockie, Tas, Diesel, Quinn, Regan, Riley, Denver, Cole, Hamish, Koda, Jai, Flynn....so many nice names only one pup! I think we will have to wait and see what name suits him best.

Michelle

I'm back to ask an important question - would it help his adjustment to a new home if I take a blanket or t-shirt and rub it over his mum/littermates so that he can still smell them, or is this likely to confuse him or cause more anxiety?

Michelle

The "umbilical method" is just having the pup/dog on a lead tied to a belt around your waist...basically so that it is in very close proximity with you so that he or she has constant supervision. Also means that the pup has a bit more freedom than being in a crate for too long, and I think in theory that the pup/dog learns other appropriate behaviours quicker (such as what it can and can't chew) because of the greater level of supervision.

LOL - I did say "in theory" so I will let you know how it actually goes "in practice'!

Michelle

ah yes, i didn't know it had a name.

my friends do this with there pups, like at night anytime it moves you know to get up and let it out.

I did this as well outside for the first little bit so Bula wouldn't get stepped on by the horses and whatnot.

I did crate her at night though....she is almost a year old and always gives me this look like "do I have to ma?" and i say, "yes, because you still chew things" :rolleyes: