Pia Posted September 10, 2007 Report Share Posted September 10, 2007 I received this from a dog group site this morning: I was looking at these treats in the store the other week. For easy ID on product see pic of bag below: ok to cross post. Pia This is an e-mail I received from Yorkie Breeders that I know in NY. This is one of their puppies that was sold and the people are letting them know what is happening since the dog has ingested These Chicken Tenders. Please read and feel free to post on other sites - If this helps one person to read the label or question where it came from it will be worth cross posting. PLEASE READ AND SHARE THIS WITH ANYONE WHO HAS DOGS, ESPECIALLY SMALL DOGS Bella, 3 years old, 4 pounds Product - Smoke House Chicken Breast Tenders Treats Bella became suddenly ill ,and now hospitalized with her life threatened due to Smoke House Chicken Tenders.I recently purchased at Pet Smart. It doesn't matter where you purchase them, just don't purchase them. This was the first time I bought the Smoke House treats. Having read the label, it was listed as all natural, no additives, dyes etc. The treats were purchased on or about August 17. She loved them and I was happy because she typically only likes one treat. By August 23 she vomited bile, and again on August 24. Her personality began to change becoming lethargic, wanting to stay in her bed, loss of appetite. excessive drinking, urinating frequently in excessive amounts. urine became orange like in color. By August 28 she was severely dehydrated and lost one of her three pounds. Sugar was found in her urine which would typically indicate diabetes. Bella was put on IV and given an antibiotic to take while tests were being done over Labor Day weekend. Test results showed "irregularity in the lower part of her kidney. Possibly a hole in the kidney because of the malfunction. By today Sept 7, she was no better and very low on energy and interest in being around anyone. I brought the package of Smoke House Chicken Tenders with me to the vet because it was the only thing that was different in her diet. My wonderful vet, a graduate of Cornell University searched the Cornell Veterinarian site where veterinarians report unusual cases which are tracked. The search was done by symptoms. A second search by chicken treats. There were numerous cases on the Cornell University Veterinarian web site, all with the same symptoms, test results and yes, related to chicken tender treats made in China. Never did it cross my mind that this product was made in China. When Dr. didn't find complete listing of i ngredients on the package he called the number listed on the back of the package identifying himself and asked for ingredients to help understand what was happening to my pet. The only thing the person on the phone with a strong Chinese accent was "all natural, all natural". Sure enough looking at the small print on the bottom back of the package is "product of China", the same source of other products that have been killing our pets. I sat beside my vet and read along with him. Following are primary repeated findings; -severe damage to the kidney often resulting in complete renal failure and death -numerous reports in the past four to five weeks, a larger number on the East Coast - chicken and beef treats promoted as all natural -it does not matter what the label is, if it is a product of China -if caught early enough, hospitalized on IV hydrating and flushing the kidney over days with nutrients may help the kidney heal itself and the pet could then live with the damaged kidney -if not caught early complete renal failure is expected -most cases reported are related to small dogs -initial symptoms indicate diabetes -mold is often found when flushing the kidney (found in Bella) I have been in touch with Pet Smart requesting them to help get the ingredients. Time is lost analyzing the food. Today a vet at Cornell purchased a bag after reading the report my Vet posted on Bella. He then contacted my vet to say the bag he bought had mold in it despite an expiration date one year from now. I was asked to look closely at whatever was left in my bag, but saw none. After Bella was admitted to the vet I went directly to Pet Smart in Nanuet NY, told the Manager what happened and asked her to assist getting the ingredients identified. I was met with a hostile attitude. She was only interested in getting my name because she felt I was going to file a complaint. The person at PS headquarters responsible for knowing food ingredients at Pet Smart headquarters is trying to help. The information available to vets on the Cornell web site is not public information. No one seems to be aware of this. Dogs are misdiagnosed PLEASE SEND THIS ON TO YOUR PET LOVING FRIENDS AND SAVE A PET AND LOTS OF HEARTACHE. PLEASE POST THIS INFORMATION ON ANY WEB SITE YOU CAN CONCERNING PETS. Allan and I are hoping and praying. View full sizeSmoke House Chicken Breast Tenders. All but one bag on the shelf which was light in color were the deeper color. The center pieces are from the bag Bella ate from. Because of the difference in color I asked Pet Smart what the difference was. Were there dyes added? The response was "it's all natural chicken so that's why the difference in shades". I pointed out that every single package was the deep color, except the one left from the same batch I bought. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.