BC Boards

Arthritis, supplements, beds, pain mngt, etc...

Guest pax

I just started Adequan shots with my older BC, Milo. He was having a lot of hip pain recently. We've only been doing the shots for two weeks, but it seems like he's already feeling better. My vet said that he's had a lot of success with them and a friend of mine who has been giving them to her two labs has been very happy with the results. They're not cheap, though.

One of the better glucosamine/chondroitin products is Cosequin DS. It comes in capsules or chewables. Nutramax makes it, as well as a new product called Dasuquin, which has some additional ingredients; but it is only in chewable and has too much artificial stuff in it for my taste (and apparently my dogs' taste as well - one of three will "chew" them regularly, one usually spits it out and I end up breaking it up on food, and the other just can't make up his mind!).

My vet also recommended a product called Duralactin (no, not Deramaxx!!). It is a colostrum product. I think it does help, but I just give it to Ms. Agility Nut 48 hr before competition, and 24 to 36 afterwards. I think it does help her arthritis in front feet.

Best of luck, pax.

diane

Diane, thanks for the heads-up about Duralactin. It looks interesting, and it comes in an equine formulation that is much cheaper than the canine version. A bucket of the equine formula should contain about 185 doses of the active ingredient "MicroLactin" and cause no problems for dogs unless they are allergic to maltodextrin and molasses. Solo won't take chewables anyway, and I can put this stuff right on top of his food.