BC Boards

Is it ever right or helpful to spank/pop a dog?

Try the time-honored tradition of stepping on the leash and giving her the hint by taking up the slack (which will now pull her towards the ground).

Again, don't do this leaning towards her or even facing her, but while you are walking along with her at your side. Not even looking at her, say "LIE DOWN!" get that leash under your foot, and if need be, give it a tug.

Be sure you reward any offer on her part to anticipate the tug by going down on her own. Doesn't have to be down all the way. But if you have to take her down all the way, wait until she relaxes. Say, "Atta girl!" and move on cheerfully.

This is my second least favorite way of teaching a down - I think I've used it exactly once, but some dogs just don't seem to get it without a huge hint.

Thanks, Becca, tried that method this morning and it worked the best of anything I've tried so far. I think Faith gets what I'm asking, she just doesn't wanna. :rolleyes: I think this because she'll down at a distance in the house, but outdoors where there are grasshoppers to chase and deer poop to consume? Not so much. So I've temporarily stopped asking for a down unless I'm by her side and can enforce the command just as soon as she ignores it.