BC Boards

Between a rock and a hard place

nancy in AZ

On the *front page* of the local paper this morning there is an article on a widespread and especially virulent strain of parvo going around. In fact, I was picking up a dog in my rescue group from the vet after spay surgery, (though I told them when I dropped her off that I was pretty sure I felt a spay scar and they opened her up only to find she had no uterus :rolleyes: ...but that's another post) and they told another woman there that they would do her dog's exam at her car in the parking lot and not to even bring it in the building!! (Oops-too late, she had in the foyer)

So with all this, Minnie goes in for her follow-up Cushings blood test on Thursday. She hasn't had any vaccines, with the exception of rabies, on the recommendation of the vet/neurologist that saw her when she was having episodes of ideopathic seizures. She hasn't had a seizure in over 2 years now, and it seems to me that the greater threat is from parvo, so I've decided to have her vaccinated when she goes in for her blood draw on Thur. I do transport for rescue dogs in my vehicle and I just can't take the chance that she picks up the virus. The disease prevention protocol at the local animal control is just about non-existant. I really don't even want her to be in the vet's office, but they told me they haven't had any cases as yet. Does anyone here know if a cushingoid dog has increased vaccine sensitivity? Also, if anyone has tried Aniprly on their cushingoid dog, I'd like to hear about your experience.

I spoke to my vet about this and in light of her auto-immune issues we decided to do a titre for parvo instead. She hasn't had the DHLPP vaccine for I think 3 years now, so I'll be interested to see what the results are. I sure hope the test shows she's got some protection. When I asked him what to do if the titre comes back too low, he said then we'll have to discuss it.

Honestly, with her auto-immune issues I'd be really hesitant to take her over there during the outbreak, period (or is that a different issue??). Is it possible to go somewhere else for a blood draw - or wait? Will they be coming to your car to draw blood? That part worries me a little.