BC Boards

Topical Clinics

I was looking at Jeanne's one-day clinic announcements - here, by the way http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.p...c=13454&hl=

and thinking, "Way cool idea!"

Other than judging and shedding clinics, which are usually normal multiple day events, I don't remember seeing a lot of clinics set up like this? It seems like this would be relatively easy to schedule and put on.

Has anyone else been to or done such topical, highly focused clinics? I'd love to hear about it. I'm trying to think of things I can host here since we are not really set up for trials yet and won't be for a while.

Yes, I went to a penning clinic earlier this summer (at Jeanne's)

It was fantastic and I learned so much from seeing the same basic activity done with different dogs and handlers. We started by talking about the basics of penning (with a whiteboard) and then went out and worked the dogs for the rest of the day--after each pen, we discussed what went right and wrong. Each dog went twice--could have probably done three times but it was raining cold buckets and so we were a little less fleet of foot getting and staying outside. I'd do both of the clinics she's offering this month in a heartbeat, but unfortunately will be out of town for one and without a dog for the one tomorrow.

I'll be going to a clinic in a few weeks focused on novice trialing (which I suspect you could probably do at your place since it's only 100 yards or so for the outrun) and another one just on beginning dogs and puppies.

With as many people who are intersted in learning more about stock--or maybe I should say being as interested as I am about learning more about stock :rolleyes: --I also think doing a clinic on basic livestock management and stockmanship (even w/out dog) would be great.

Robin,

I think that both topics discussed in the original thread are very interesting. I also think that Robin's idea above about livestock management is a very good one. I would be very interested in a clinic that discusses novice trials as well.

Now...if I could just figure out how to work this doggone whistle I have - but I don't suppose a clinic is appropriate for that...it just takes practice!!!

Ha, ha, no magic for the whistle - though I was at a clinic once where few of us spent some time sending the instructor's dog in circles at the end of the day. That WAS oddly helpful and certainly a memorable experience (the poor dog probably remembers it to this day also!).

Yes, I've been neglecting my whistle...I know that I shouldn't. I think I need to listen to my CD first but now without the car with the CD player, makes it kinda hard. I could always listen to it at work but then those around may get annoyed!!! Hey, maybe that wouldn't be a bad thing.

Robin - Can we talk you into giving some clinics? You are a very good teacher, you know, and I know several people who would attend!!!

That would be fun. When it gets cooler and we can work later in the day (and some of us can stay longer :rolleyes: )

Okay, let's see what kind of interest there is out there. How about we do a morning of "how to move sheep" and "how sheep think" - having handlers moving sheep around without dogs. Then for the afternoon we trim feet or something along those lines. Or we could do an intro to penning or some such. Email me with what you'd like and i'll poll my regular lesson list and see what folks want and are interested in. Also send me available dates, the first 3 weekends of august. robin AT sheepdogSonline.com

We probably can do a saturday and then follow it up with regular lessons on sunday if anyone wants.

August is "training month" for me so anything's good for me. I wouldn't mind a whole day of stock handling only, but it would be super to throw a teeny bit of dog work like the penning lesson you suggested. Then it would seem a little less like a busman's holiday to me (although I do love trimming hooves). Please don't change anything for my sake only, however!

ETA: Saturday would be much preferable of course. But any Saturday is OK.

Robin, that would SO rock. Count me in - I'll flat out make myself available. :rolleyes: I'm particularly interested in beginning penning. I can always use more understanding and moving sheep.

We probably can do a saturday and then follow it up with regular lessons on sunday if anyone wants.

I like this idea a LOT. :D

Actually, that's a good idea. A shedding clinic would be very possible here. I'd like to bring on someone you local Open handlers (and us wannabes) could benefit from, also. We'll have to chat in person about possible names.

Julie -

Just as soon as i get it figured out. :rolleyes:

No really, i'd love it if someone would get somebody like Bev or Scott here and do another shedding clinic. I'm pretty comfortable shedding but i like the checkup and we almost never get to do international shedding. It was always great going to Alasdair's shedding clinics, with those lovely fresh sheep he'd bring in. I'd like to go a turnback clinic too, i think it's pretty interesting stuff.

Julie -

Just as soon as i get it figured out. :rolleyes:

No really, i'd love it if someone would get somebody like Bev or Scott here and do another shedding clinic. I'm pretty comfortable shedding but i like the checkup and we almost never get to do international shedding. It was always great going to Alasdair's shedding clinics, with those lovely fresh sheep he'd bring in. I'd like to go a turnback clinic too, i think it's pretty interesting stuff.

Yeah, the problem is that I can practice at home, but I never really know if I'm doing it right (the international shed, that is). I find the ISDS rules a bit confusing, so I'd love to have someone who is good at it show me where I'm going wrong (not that I expect I'll need to do it at a trial anytime soon). Since I make a regular count of my sheep at home, sometimes I do something similar, getting the sheep up at one end of the field and then releasing them in twos and threes so I can count, but that's not quite the same as keeping collared ones and letting the others go. A regular shedding clinic would be good too--especially if we could use a variety of sheep, from those who cling and swirl to those that are more like range ewes (i.e., don't want a human or dog anywhere near).... I need to pull out my shedding clinic DVD, but I still think in-person lessons would be great!

On another note, I'd very much love to get Derek Scrimgeour here on the east coast. Anyone up for trying to do that?

J.

Okay, let's see what kind of interest there is out there. How about we do a morning of "how to move sheep" and "how sheep think" - having handlers moving sheep around without dogs. Then for the afternoon we trim feet or something along those lines.

Wow, I'd love to participate in something like that. Unfortunately, August is out for me - DH and I are taking our first vacation in a couple of years then. But if you have it again, or change the month for any reason, I'm there! :rolleyes:

I'd *love* to go to a clinic with Derek. He's right at the top of clinics i'd like to attend.

I'll have to put my head together with my neighbor and talk to others who have had him and see if it's doable. I've come this close to going to Wisconsin twice now, and I'd kill to have him somewhere more locally!

J.

Hmm. I wanted to see about approaching Derek a couple years ago but the moving project got in the way. I actually kind of forgot about it. If I started planning for that for next year, do you really think there'd be enough interest?

Getting Scott Glen down here would be awesome, too. I've admired him for a long time but never had a chance to get to a clinic. A shedding clinic with him would be do-able faster than bringing Derek Scrimegeour - depending on his schedule, of course.

My next door neighbor has some hay fields that would be nice for turn back practice but I want to get more on the nicey-nice with him before approaching him about stuff like that.

You know what would be cool? A rotating schedule of clinics through the year, where people would start remembering, "Oh, there's that clinic that covers penning in August" or, "Beginning shedding is in November."

I've got an idea that I'm going to take offline here, ladies . . .but school is over and I have to give up the Mac for a couple hours to the munchkins . . .

It's looking like the 11th will be our day. I'll send out email privately. We'll start early and break for maybe a potluck lunch. Plan is to do the "how to be a sheep whisperer" :rolleyes: clinic first, start with basics and move on to more advanced stuff as the day goes on. We might or might now actually get the dogs out, depending on how many are there and how it goes.

It's looking like the 11th will be our day. I'll send out email privately. We'll start early and break for maybe a potluck lunch. Plan is to do the "how to be a sheep whisperer" :rolleyes: clinic first, start with basics and move on to more advanced stuff as the day goes on. We might or might now actually get the dogs out, depending on how many are there and how it goes.

I am green with envy - or was it something I ate?

Best wishes for a great day and I wish I could join the group!