BC Boards

Acting Sluggish

Aden turned five months this week and has started to act really sluggish. She started teething last week also. I was thinking this may have something to do with it. It seems like she just has no energy. She went from hopping up stairs skipping two or three to crawling up them slowly and she just lays around now. She also isn't responding to basic commands like she used to. Where she would sit after only one command before, it seems like if she even does it at all, I have to say it five times or so and touch her on the butt to get her to sit.

It doesn't seem like anything else is wrong with her, other than the teething with occasional bleeding.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Guest WoobiesMom

It's probably her teeth. Are her ears being held at weird angles? Both of my dogs tended to do that when their teeth were really bothering them. If it's still really apparent in a few days, a quick check w/the vet might be a good idea.

I have an abcesses tooth that's coming out Monday. I've been on the couch on narcotics all weekend, toothaches can really make you miserable!

I don't know... None of my puppies ever acted sick or lethargic when they were teething. Quinn's ears were definitely odd during that period, but that was the only thing I noticed. An abscessed tooth is an infection which I can state from experience is not only painful, but can make you feel sick as well. I'm really not used to sluggish puppies unless they're sick or exhausted.

I don't know... None of my puppies ever acted sick or lethargic when they were teething. Quinn's ears were definitely odd during that period, but that was the only thing I noticed. An abscessed tooth is an infection which I can state from experience is not only painful, but can make you feel sick as well. I'm really not used to sluggish puppies unless they're sick or exhausted.

Has she been outside alot lately? Maybe it's the heat.

It could be growing pains? Ido had growing pains around that age, she didn't seem as enthusiastic about fetching anything, she limped, layed down a lot. I was worried about HD, so I took her to the vet. Her hips were fine, doc said it was prolly growing pains. Sure enough, a couple weeks later, she was fine.

I would visit the vet just in case. Feel her over, see if you can locate any particular sore spots that may be causing her to act this way.