BC Boards

Managing a Pack of 3 Female BCs

Hi All,

Life here has been blissful on an unfenced, wooded 16 acres in Oregon. Our 2 rescued and much loved female BC are about 10 and 3 years old.

I got word that a daughter of a co-worker had to move from the country into town and now had to keep her red BC female in the garage all day due to barking complaints from neighbors. She also wore a shock collar to discourage the barking.

Our offer to adopt (rescue really) was accepted without hesitation. She's a 3 year old sweetie just vibrating with energy. She is very bright and responsive, and very assertive.

I'm extremely concerned about these 3 developing into a noisy, marauding pack. Can any of you point me in the direction of good info on controlling this? Any nuggets of advice?

TIA

Well, I had 5 females and one VERY happy male in Oregon. They have to develop a pack order, it takes time. Not too much time. I'm sure your other 2 have it figured out. I have very large runs, pebble stones because of the rain there. I'd put the ones that got along together. Keep a watch on them when you can and see how they get along and then you can tell who is the pack leader of the three. They might surprise you and all get along great.

Wow, 5 girls!! And all so sweet, I'm sure.

I think mine are smart enough to work out their pecking order pretty quickly (although I had my doubts this morning during today's little snap 'n growl).

I'm worried they will chase deer, other dogs, or people as a pack. My 2 originals stick close to the house so we never needed a fence or runs. We'd like to maintain the status quo and not have to build fences. Am I dreaming?

No, you're not dreaming. Just take the time to train your dogs. Train them to come, and to 'leave it' so you can use that when they try to chase something. I can call Diesel off chasing my cats or my horse and he'll stop on a dime.

Are your dogs unattended outside?

It may be that the new dog will not be as compliant as your current dogs. You can perimeter train your dogs in the same way you would train with an invisible fence, just without one. That way your dogs do know the limits of the property.

I am on 5 acres and my dogs are perimeter trained (and also invisible fence enforced) to keep them and my neighbors safe. They are also not allowed to chase ANYTHING ... tho once a coyote came trolling through at noon and my non-BC went after it and left the property (doesn't wear her shock collar anymore) to chase it under the neighbor's deck.

Left unattended or undisciplined, your dogs will seek ways to entertain themselves and you are right to worry.

Our dogs are not undisciplined but are often left unattended. We have a procedure for leaving the property on foot stopping at two points along the driveway for a brief sit/stay before being released into a quiet dirt road. They're not perfect, but pretty darn good.

Does perimeter training really work? Where can I learn more?

Thanks for your thoughts. I can see I need to devote lots of time and effort to this.