BC Boards

Neutering Q's

I was just wondering about a few things regarding having Wollie neutered next month...

I've had our two other dogs spayed and the vet was very clear that it's big surgery and they needed to be kept quiet for at least two weeks (yeah right as if that happened!) but I was wondering if it's the same for a male? Is it that big a thing to heal from and do they need the same amount of quiet and non-active time?

Also if that is the case - do you have any advice on keeping him still... except for locking up the poor guy in his crate the whole time...

Will his attitude change towards other dogs (less bossy) or will he be the same little fella? The GR had quite an attitude change towards other dogs after being spayed...

That's all I can think of right now, but I'm sure I'll come up with more later :rolleyes:

As goofy as it sounds it depends entirely on the individual dog...

with mature males behaviors have had a long time to establish themselves; with adolescents

eliminating the testosterone rollercoaster may have a more obvious effect... it just depends.

The healing part... same thing... just make sure the site stays clean without redness or

irritation. Some boys will do a lot of licking which can irritate...

Guest WoobiesMom

I only had one dog when my Airedale was neutered so I can't speak to the bossy aspect, but it is alot less intense than a spay. I think that's mainly because it's just on the outside of the body and not an internal procedure like the spay. Rush was pretty out of it for the remainder of that day and walked a little gingerly for about 3-4 days. We kept him in the house with us and would warn him to settle down if he started to get the zoomies and then if he wouldn't settle, we'd put him in his crate.

I think you may have to lock poor Wollie up if he's prone to playing alot with your other dogs. He'll have to take it easy for a little while at least. But if he's inside with you and the other dogs are outside, you should be able to keep him quiet easily enough. I have heard that they are less dominant and more easy going after the neuter. FWIW, the most dominant, obnoxious dogs I see at the dog park are all females! LOL

Hope he does just fine!

with mature males behaviors have had a long time to establish themselves; with adolescents

eliminating the testosterone rollercoaster may have a more obvious effect... it just depends.

Well, he'll be 6 months old in August so he's not an adult :rolleyes: But he's starting to behave like one...

I think you may have to lock poor Wollie up if he's prone to playing alot with your other dogs.

He only gets controlled playtime with them, otherwise he's either in his puppy pen or indoors... but he does tend to go on "overdrive" sometimes LOL

the most dominant, obnoxious dogs I see at the dog park are all females!

I tend to believe that one too, based on my experience with our dogs and other dogs I know! ;-)