BC Boards

Just finished "Nop's Trials"

Not as enjoyable as Nop's Trials for me, partly because it was so dang sad the whole way through topped off with a very sad ending

It did have a good ending actually...the answer to the question of "can you ruin a good dog?" is "no". Hope moved on, Penny moved on...life from the ashes and all that. Am I the only one that felt that way about that?

I love love love the Nop books, and the Eminent Dogs book. :D I keep rereading them. Those are my top 3 favorite books! Followed by James Herriot. :rolleyes:

I have yet to read Marley and Me, and also the new books by McCaig.

Lenajo - I totally agree! That's what I love about that book. No matter how bad things were or what bad things happened, there is always hope (play on words not intended).

My favorite line from a dog book ever is the one where its storming ice and Penny has new lambs out there in the scrub. He tells her she doesn't have to go in such awful weather...but she says

"If I don't, some'll die. Hope." (and then Hope goes....)

Theres is so much in that statement...it's like the whole book, farming, life, fate....

Dont' forget to read David Kennard's books "A Shepherd's Watch" and "The Dogs of Windcutter Down." We've talked before on here about those. They are great! I've read them a few times already. He also has the video "The Year of the Working Sheepdog," and a new one "Mist, the tale of a sheepdog puppy" but I don't think it is available in the US yet. Its more geared to kids, but I want to see it.

You can get Mist over the internet from Mr. Kennard's website (www.mistthemovie.com), but it will be Region 1 (Europe or Great Britain format) rather than Region 2 (US/Canada format).

I had gotten an inexpensive DVD player that will play all formats and so I can get DVDs that haven't yet been produced in our format and play them on my TV, like 30 Years of One Man and His Dog. I LOVE my "all regions" DVD player! Shipping and all, it cost me about $45 or less.

You can get Mist over the internet from Mr. Kennard's website (www.mistthemovie.com), but it will be Region 1 (Europe or Great Britain format) rather than Region 2 (US/Canada format).

I had gotten an inexpensive DVD player that will play all formats and so I can get DVDs that haven't yet been produced in our format and play them on my TV, like 30 Years of One Man and His Dog. I LOVE my "all regions" DVD player! Shipping and all, it cost me about $45 or less.

I saw on David Kennard's website you can order it, but I don't have one of those DVD players that will play all formats. Maybe I'll get one. I would love to watch the "one man and his dog" episodes. Where did you get yours?

I ordered 30 Years of One Man and His Dog from www.sheepdogshop.co.uk. You use their pages for US/Canada prices and formats. Some things are available in "our" format (NTSC) and some aren't. If in doubt, you can email and Mandy will get back with you. She's been great on customer service for me.

The very inexpensive DVD player (Cyberhome CH-DVD 300) I ordered was something I found in a thread on Sheepdog-L. I used Google to search for a source. The ordering was easy, it shipped very quickly, and it works just fine (not to mention that it was quite inexpensive). It's pretty simple, not fancy, but does the job I need quite nicely, and I don't have to worry about format issues.

Here's the info I used from Sheepdog-L:

Went on the internet and found Cyberhome DVD player Model CH-DVD300

Progressive DVD Player on sale for $34.99 plus shipping from Bundle City. DVD

player arrived today and our BC Off Duty DVD works just fine.

Just thought I'd pass this on to the "L" for those still looking for a

reasonabley priced DVD player that would play their British DVDs.

One other suggestion on Sheepdog-L is to take the non-compatible DVD (PAL format) to an electronics shop that can copy it onto another disk in the US/Canada format (NTSC) that you can play on your existing DVD player. Whether or not this can be done for any DVD is something I don't know.