BC Boards

I can't get her to stop jumping!

My puppy isn't even 4 months old yet and I've read here that jumping can hurt her joints, but I can't get her to stop. She jumps all day! She wants to run and jump over anything, we can keep her from jumping up on us but when she's outside and sees a flying bug, she jumps really high to try to get it. She has even stood on her back legs and jumped up and down trying to reach a leaf that was too high. We have a one foot high enclosure around what used to be a garden ( It's now turned into a puppy sandbox ) and she will run as fast as she can and fly right over it. So, what are the boundries of what is harmful to her?

It's more the repetition and height of jumps that's the issue. Your puppy bounding along, hopping at a bug isn't going to hurt her. You can reduce how much she jumps in a day by limiting her 'free' time to find something do jump at like bugs by giving her a filled kong to chew on, play ground ball games or keep her inside for a bit. If it's possible to pull down part of the little fence for a while that would help too. Be cautious, and don't ask for her to jump anything since she already does enough by herself. :rolleyes: In general your pup shouldn't have too much free time on her hands which could lead to trouble (ie. behaviors you don't want such as inappropriate digging, pacing, etc). A tired puppy is a good, grounded puppy :D

Just a personal experience - we were forced to leave my pup in the backyard all day when my husband's grandmother was ill, and it would have been too long to crate her. When we came home she was limping, and it ended up that she had fractured her knee in two places. We don't know how she did it, but the vet figures she probably jumped off of something, or ran and hit her knee against something. Of course she wasn't being supervised, because it was an emergency, but do try to keep your pups paws on the ground as much as you can. (not easy, I know!) Also try to play on large grassy areas, so she doesn't risk running into fences, retaining walls and the like.

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom

dont they make 'anti-jump-harnesses? I dont see the puppy learning anything from that though....

Tell me about it! I have the same problem... LOL Everybody here warned me not to throw his frisbee in the air for him to catch, but what about when he tosses it up in the air himself and then jumps (much higher!!!) to catch it again... and he doesn't just do it with the frisbee - he'll do it with anything he can get his teeth on!! Any help with that... he does it so quickly during the time we're playing before he brings the toy back he'll start amusing himself with it! How do I convince him to stop tossing it in the air to catch it??? He obviously thinks its more fun! :rolleyes: