BC Boards

kennel blinds

Hi everyone. We're doing a little "upgrading" of the kennels and I'm curious what people have found that works best to create blinds between kennel runs. The outside runs are 4 x 8 and heavy duty chainlink. We get some serious wind here so I can't have something solid or it will wreak havoc on my whole setup. Has anyone used the aluminum or pvc (I think) slats that you weave through the chain link to create privacy. They look like a good option for us but I'm not sure how they work. We really don't have any fence fighting but whenever I bring in an outside dog for training we get a bit of barking at each other. So, I'd like to find a way to put up a barrier between runs without losing the air flow.

Thanks!

4' X 8' sheets of fiberglass shower board work really well. Should be available at any building supply store. Weatherproof and easy to wash off with a hose. Cut to size and attach to the chain link with wire or electrical ties, just make sure it's tight so dogs can't chew on it. Kind of expensive though, about $40 per sheet last time I checked.

The next major step for our kennels is privacy barriers. I want to get sheets of translucent roofing like they use for greenhouses. Not too expensive, strong and definitely waterproof! And the added advantage that it won't create more darkness in an already dark garage (although, next next project, wire the garage). My dogs don't pay much attention to each other either but it's nice for them to get a break from each other.

Tony, the fiberglass shower board is exactly what I suggested to my husband as it's light and easy to wash. His concern is that it's a solid surface that won't allow any of the wind through and with our 40-50 mph winds a couple times a week, it might make it hard for them to hold up. I guess I could try one or two and see how they hold up for awhile first.

Rebecca, if the material is translucent will it create a true privacy barrier? I think I've seen these sold in the TekSupply catalog. I'll try to find it and look them up again today.

Thanks!!

It wouldn't work for truly determined kennel fighters but I don't keep those in kennels anyway. What I've seen will work very well to screen out busy bodies from eyeballing each other constantly.

Rebecca,

I don't really have any fence fighter's luckily but would like to keep some privacy between them. Some of the pup's will work each other up and down the fence if put next to each other right now though. Where did you find the material as I'm having trouble finding it on Tek Supply.

Thanks.

Your husband's probably right. The fiberglass board would act like a big sail with that amount of wind. I wonder if it would work if you drill very small holes all over it? Not a perfect blind, but as good as slats and probably a lot more durable.

If you could rig it so the dogs wouldn't tear it up, what'd work really well is the heavy duty erosion-control fabric. Wind passes right through it.

Laura, we got some kennel privacy panels from Priefert. We love ours! They are made of a flexible plastic (1/8" thick). You do have to drill holes in them (which is easy to do), but they come with the fasteners that easily attach the sheet to chain link.

http://www.priefert.com/dynamic/product.php?ITEM_NO=KPP10

Hi Christine,

Did you drill some extra holes in them for airflow as well? I know with the kind of wind we get from time to time (okay, maybe every other day) they would become big sails if we're not careful.

Sorry to hear about your accident! I hope you heal quickly! I was working some goats with a pup not long ago and this one old gal has twisted horns (to the outside of her head). The pup heeled her and she jumped in the middle of me. Her horn caught me right above the knee and tore my leg open from there almost all the way up the thigh. It wouldn't be so bad but I got some pretty good blood clots due to it. Mike thought it was hilarious that a goat "whipped" me! I sort her out when I work pup's now.

Hi Laura, we did not drill any extra holes as the end of the building that covers our outdoor runs it enclosed. It can get very windy up on top of this hill as well, but we have not had many problems since the end that get the most exposure to the elements is closed in. I imagine you could drill more holes in the blinds?

Sorry to hear about your leg.... did you have to get stitches?

Drilling holes in the sheets sounds like a pretty good plan. If I ever get to see Mike in the near future (haying and fire season now so he's NEVER home) I'll visit with him about it.

:rolleyes:

I didn't need stitches thankfully. I'm pretty leary of them after my last experience with them anyway. I had a horse "wreck" and to make a long story short ended up with a portable panel and the horse on top of me. The horse went to get up and stepped on the panel which was on my knee. The hinge ended up basically "gutting my knee". It took over 50 stitches to to close it back up. It was a mess before it was over and I have a pretty good scar now. I still wonder if it would have healed better without the stitches. Really, I'm not as clumsy as I sound though! :D

I don't know if it would work or not, but they make a plastic pegboard. I've bought it in 2x4 sheets at Lowe's. Don't know if it comes in other sizes or not. I think they were $8.00 each and that was about two years ago. I cut them up and use them as floors in the dog houses.

Cindy