BC Boards

Abbie's agility trial

Well I thought I'd just have a small brag.....so here goes.....

Today we had another agility trial. It was NADAC and Abbie was reasonably (*cough* :D ) well behaved. She had a run where she got distracted and just trotted around doing what ever she liked :D Our first run was jumpers and she was going really well but a few jumps from the end she started getting nippy and growling (playfully) at me so I pulled out. She hasn't done this before in a trial, I guess she was just excited.

Anyway, after that we had novice agility and we Q'd!! YAY We also tried hoopers for the first time. She would have Q'd but she stopped to sniff something and followed the smell through a hoop :rolleyes: !!! LOL anyway we finished off with two 1st's (edit:both novice agility just got my results) and a 4th (hoopers)....and a Q!

Here's a video with some clips of our runs...Abbie's NADAC trial

ok brag over...we really need to work on focus!!

ETA: The related videos on my vid are Dazzle ones! how cool! :D

Good job!!! Congrats!!!

Focus is a biggie - - especially hard for our pups when there are so many new dogs - new smells - and activity around them - - not knowing how you train for focus - with treats or toys,etc is not easy to give you any pointers - - I usually have a handful of treats that are doled out b4 we enter the ring - - Tess is very food motivated and also likes the sport so much I haven't had a focus problem with her - -

looks like you two are well on your way to many more Q's! :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone. Getting a Q gives me hope- even if its only one...

In our first trial she was actually better behaved. The reason we did not Q was because I made mistakes (got lost, could have called cues earlier...). Now I have improved (a bit) as a handler and I'm saying the cues earlier and using more body language but Abbie has become trial wise.

At home walking her she comes 95% of the time and will give me focus when training. Same goes for the backyard. I try to take her to different parks and environments to practice focus. I also call her randomly at home and at the park and reward lots for immediate and fast recalls. We also play lots of focus games.

She also never runs off at dog club. She has a great recall and focus outside the ring, at home, at the dog park anywhere but trials!

Good job!!! Congrats!!!

Focus is a biggie - - especially hard for our pups when there are so many new dogs - new smells - and activity around them - - not knowing how you train for focus - with treats or toys,etc is not easy to give you any pointers - - I usually have a handful of treats that are doled out b4 we enter the ring - - Tess is very food motivated and also likes the sport so much I haven't had a focus problem with her - -

looks like you two are well on your way to many more Q's! :rolleyes:

This is my routine before we go into the ring:

1. Take Abbie out of crate for a walk to go 'toilies'.

2. Play some tug and do some recalls and play.

3. I get a handful of special treats and ask her for tricks and stuff and do some heeling and focus just outside the ring.

4. In the marshalling area I ask her for focus and also stretch and massage her a bit.

This trial I didn't do any lead outs (I did at our first trial) so I could try and keep the connection- if you know what I mean. She usually got half way through a course then decides shes had enough of doing what I say and trots off. Its not like she's running off to someone like my dad but she just runs anywhere and sometimes takes obstacles on the way.

So if anyone has any tips for focus and control, I REALLY need them! :D

ETA: if she loses focus I call her back and finish the course (even if not in the right order) and reward for the last thing she did. We play tug after a run and she gets treats when she goes back in her crate.

I also should make it clear that I'm not blaming Abbie. I'm the one who needs help to train her!