BC Boards

I'm getting some ducks

KrisK

I finally found someone with Mucovy ducks and only an hour * half drive away :D Now the question is how many do I get?? She has 4-5 year old females and a couple of drakes. She also has ducklings that were born last week. Since I've never had ducks before, should I start with 2 adults and then get more later in the summer? I have an 8x8 shed for penning them at night. Other than that, I'm going to let the ducks free range during the day. I don't think I'll get any ducklings right now even though I know they are darn cute :D

On another note, is the Storey book 'Raising Ducks' a good starter book to get? I have the one about raising sheep which is at least easier for a newbie to understand. Any thoughts?

This is so cool - my first 'farm' animals :rolleyes:

If you can get a pair you might have more by fall! :D Actually, two hens and a drake is a perfect little flock.

Storey's guide is excellent. I've never had a question about ducks that it didn't answer. Which is saying a lot because I do a lot of questioning. :rolleyes:

Thanks Becca,

I'll order the book right now and hopefully won't make too many mistakes with my ducks until it arrives. Mind you, the person I'm buying from was REALLY helpful, She even answered my totally stupid questions. :rolleyes:

Muscovies like to segregate themselves by sex, except for, erm, their "dalliances" with each other. Get 2 hens and a drake, and they'll quickly give you more ducks :rolleyes: A single hen may be overwhelmed by the drakes advances...

Good luck penning them in at night- Muscovies like to sleep in trees, and unlike chickens, ducks DO NOT go in at night. I finally gave up and got some chicken electronet to put around my laying duck pen. It gets really old trying to chase them in at night. You can try training them to go in at night- clap your hands (or something) and give them a treat (corn works well), and they'll soon come running :D My partner trained his hens like this- it's hilarious- they come RUNNING whenever anyone claps!

The only Muscovy around here thinks the BC's have it backwards- he chases them! The Muscovys smell a little funny, but they have funny soft whispering voice.

They also tend to lay better than books say they do, so you might get some eggs to eat. I have Kahaki Campbells & Runners- I love my duck eggs!

KrisK,

Interested in hearing every word, we keep going back and forth as to whether we would like to add some ducks and chickens. So, any time you have to chronicle your experience, I will read every word!!

Good luck with your transports and I hope all goes well. Oh, and good luck resisting those ducklings, they are way adorable.

SIGH....Flight delay :rolleyes: Gee, just like at airports! My DH, who is the realist, and I'm the optimist, said there is no way we will have the duck shed predator proof in time to get the ducks on Sunday. So, I've made arrangements to pick up 1 drake and 2 hens next week. I do want to make sure they have a safe place to stay overnight.

NorthfieldNick - Apparently, these Muscovies already are 'trained' to go in at night...provided I have food :D So, here's hoping they go into their duck house (which USED to be my garden shed) It's going to be a riot I'm sure :D

Tammy525 - Trust me....I'll be here a lot looking for help from all the experts...even the posers :D

Ah, good. Pre-trained ducks! They'll probably lay their eggs in the house, then. Most ducks lay around dawn. Mine all lay between 4 & 5 am (yes, I'm up that early almost every day). Don't be surprised if they lay about 15 eggs, then quit for a few weeks, if you're collecting eggs. They lay in clutches. Of course, if you're letting them set, then it's a moot point.

I'm telling you- chicken electronet from Premier is the BEST predator protection EVER. Put it around your shed, and just connect it every night. Since I put it around my chicken & duck tractors (bottomless, moveable pens) I've had zero losses to coons and minks (I live on an island- we don't have coyotes). It also now keeps my BC away from the birds, but that's because he thought the poultry net wasn't hot like the sheep net & he zapped himself good...

I love my ducks- more than the chickens. I keep both for eggs (and meat sometimes), but the ducks have WAY more personality.

Oh, right, be ready to change their water every day- mine make a mess of any water they can find :rolleyes:

-Ben-

Thanks Ben, that's very helpful information. I do hope to get the eggs and right now, I don't really want to deal with ducklings. Like I said, these ducks are my very first 'livestock' :rolleyes: I've never really had any issues with predators because the dogs seem to keep them away, but then, I've never had tasty animals either!

I have a fairly large pond that the ducks will have access to during the day - I know they aren't swimmers but there will be plenty of bugs for them!

I'm looking forward to this duck adventure :D

Oh, my. Just wait until you actually see ducklings. Then you'll want them. Cutest things ever. Little peeping balls of fluff... besides, when you let the duck hatch them, you don't have to deal. Just watch out- even my dinky little 3 Lb ducks give the dogs hell when they have babies. My poor mutt-dog just avoids the duck pen... she acts tough, but she's kind of a wuss :/

Now I am having duck envy. The electronet is a good idea. When we get ducks again we's have to do that. That would solve a lot fo problems, hmmm.