BC Boards

New puppy, crate question

I am considering bringing home a new puppy, mostly as a playmate for my BC mix. My question is this...my BC sleeps in his crate at night, and it is a large crate (I was told he was a lab/rottie when I got him at 8 weeks, he looked mostly lab, now he looks mostly BC!! :rolleyes: ), I was wondering if anyone has experience putting the baby in with the older dog? He would of course get his own crate when he gets bigger, but I'm wondering if it would help the puppy with the seperation from his littermates, and help the two of them bond.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't... for starters the right sized crate will help with housebreaking. The older dog needs a 'place of his

own'...to get away from the pup if need be. The pup does need to bond with you too.

A second crate from the getgo will give the pup a chance to get used to be on his own... They both should

be crated in the same room with you at night anyway.

The dogs will bond together just fine without being crated together.

Pups are resilient critters. Think about establishing your 'house rules' from the start.

Your older dog is entitled to a good night's rest in his own space....

Guest WoobiesMom

I wouldn't advise it either. Although I've never had two dogs, I was taught to regard a dog's crate as sacred space where they are free to retreat and be left alone. Penning a silly pup who might make an older dog angry in the same confined space might be a recipe for disaster.

Maybe a pop up crate for the puppy next to your bed would be a good temporary solution until you get the pup a permanent one. I found a good cheap one (that the cats ended up using instead) at Walmart for less than $20.

Thank you for the responses! I am going to head to Walmart and get a softsided crate, until he reaches his mature size, then I'll get him an appropriate sized permanent crate. Both the dogs crates will be in my bedroom, so we can sleep as a "pack"! Thanks again!

You may want to consider either a hard plastic sided crate or a wire crate. Those soft sided crates are easy to rip or chew open... and you don't want jailbreaks. :rolleyes: After he's well crate trained you may be able to use a soft-sided one, but in the beginning (plus for the ease of cleaning) you may want to forgo the soft dealie.

You may want to consider either a hard plastic sided crate or a wire crate. Those soft sided crates are easy to rip or chew open.

Agreed. BC's have a tendency to entertain themselves when they get bored, not always in a positive manner; and destruction of a crate can seem like a good time to them. (I speak from experience on this one.)

You may want to consider either a hard plastic sided crate or a wire crate. Those soft sided crates are easy to rip or chew open... and you don't want jailbreaks. :rolleyes:

If you know what's good for you, you'll head this advice! :D Take it from someone who had a jailbreak at 3 AM in the morning who then proceeded to poop (the runny kind) all over her sister's Persian rug and then track the poop all over the house! :D Nothing more fun than steam cleaning poop out of carpets at 3 AM to teach you a lesson.