BC Boards

Small Brag: Drawing blood

Over the past couple months my little dog has held sheep for the shearer, for shots, for drenching, and for more shots.

Lu has a grip like a pit bull strength of character, and work is helping her get a handle on that trait. Today we were drawing blood for CL testing, and it was important for Lu to walk straight in and press sheep against us, then release the pressure a bit and hold the fort quietly while the needles were in play.

My Cheviots can stare a dog off the property, and quite a few of the ewes will try to hammer my Twig, but they don't challenge Lu. It was mostly close work, and Lu was a peach. I don't think I ever raised my voice. [Wait a minute... I think I just figured something out.]

She also moved sheep around a couple busy strangers without getting anxious about them [the humans] and let the vet [a man] pat her while she sat in the water trough after we were done. Not bad for a stray that used to be terrified of people [men especially].

So I'm feeling the love for my little dog this evening. Photo taken at an AHBA trial in Jamul last November, and no, the blue neoprene thingy is not an anti-bark shock device. (People have asked.) Yay Lulu lurve.gif

AtLaurasinJamulcroppedandCurved.jpg

That's great Luisa. I would love to have seen some shots of her in action. Sounds like she is a top dog. I completely "get" the sheep stare--- lots of respect for your Lu.

Julie

Over the past couple months my little dog has held sheep for the shearer, for shots, for drenching, and for more shots.

Lu has a grip like a pit bull strength of character, and work is helping her get a handle on that trait. Today we were drawing blood for CL testing, and it was important for Lu to walk straight in and press sheep against us, then release the pressure a bit and hold the fort quietly while the needles were in play.

My Cheviots can stare a dog off the property, and quite a few of the ewes will try to hammer my Twig, but they don't challenge Lu. It was mostly close work, and Lu was a peach. I don't think I ever raised my voice. [Wait a minute... I think I just figured something out.]

She also moved sheep around a couple busy strangers without getting anxious about them [the humans] and let the vet [a man] pat her while she sat in the water trough after we were done. Not bad for a stray that used to be terrified of people [men especially].

So I'm feeling the love for my little dog this evening. Photo taken at an AHBA trial in Jamul last November, and no, the blue neoprene thingy is not an anti-bark shock device. (People have asked.) Yay Lulu lurve.gif

AtLaurasinJamulcroppedandCurved.jpg

She looks so elegant in that pic, all long languid legs and swan neck.

It's like she's got a Super Dog suit on under that cool exterior. :rolleyes:

Good on you, Lu! Hoo-ray.

It's funny how another dog can settle a "hot" one many times. I had a dog with that same, er, strength of character but he was the steadiest dog to hold for young dogs or set out.