BC Boards

Met the Shetlands

KrisK

sold :rolleyes:

They appear to be exactly the kind of sheep that will suit my lifestyle. I was expecting a small sheep, but was truly surprised by just how small they really are! The owner was very helpful and willing to share her experience with the sheep. The rams where stunning - with beautiful curving horns yet were all quite docile. My plan is to start with wethers - I'll be able to get fibre and get my 'feet' wet. Now the work begins - can I get my field fenced and a pole barn built before winter????

She also had 10!! brand new BC pups born on June 1st. They still didn't have their eyes open but she had 5 males/5 females and they were evenly split between black & white and tri. I'm so glad my household is full up right now!

A question - Since I'm planning to have only 6 sheep give or take - she suggested using bells on the sheep instead of a guardian dog to discourage predators. Has anyone ever used bells successfully on a small flock?

I'll post a couple of pictures tomorrow.

What Bill says. I don't know LOTS about sheep at all, but I hear from many folks that shetlands are pita's to keep. But, maybe these will be easy. I know I don't want a sheep or group of sheep that would challenge my fence. That is a WHOLE other headache. About getting sheep- I just got 7 and it is a nice small number- and they really don't eat *that* much- at least mine don't. So, you could fence part of your perimeter fence, and then put up e-net (which I am learning to really hate thank you very much) along one side. This will allow you to get the sheep in, and then as time allows, and $$ affords, add more perimeter fence. I am in the planning stages of putting together a small run in shed, with a room off the back for sheep and fence supplies.....

Julie

In my *limited* experience with Shetlands, they are more likely to challenge any fence, including e-net, than other breeds of my experience (except maybe the Scottish blackface, which give the Shetlands a run for thier money). They are smart and crafty and could be compared to goats when it comes to their ability to escape fencing. But they are small and fairly easy to handle, and you might find them quite enjoyable. I've never heard of bells as a means of keeping predators away--generally bells are used to be able to tell where the little buggers have wandered off to (could be useful with Shetlands :D ). And if they're wandering a lot, then you'll be living with a lot of noise. Personally I would securely perimeter fence the largest area I could with the most predator-proof fence I could (we have field fence with high-tensile hot--and I mean hot--wire top, middle, and bottom to discourage anything from coming in the pasture) and if I had trouble after that, I'd add an LGD. You can always use e-net to subdivide the larger area into small paddocks, but in the beginning keep a close eye on the sheep as they will test the fence, and if the charge is ever lacking, they *will* go through or over (sometimes I think they do it just because they can!).

If you're planning on working your dogs as well, I think I'd keep a minimum of 10, simply because it allows you to rotate sheep out to help prevent them from becoming too dog-broke/sour as fast.

Try to get a nice mix of colors too! :rolleyes:

J.

The sheep were in a four foot, page wire fence which was right on the ground. The owner said she has no trouble with the sheep going over but if there is a space at the bottom, they will go under. I got some great advice earlier from the forum about the type of fencing to use (thank you again). Also, I'm going to use hot wire on the outside of the fence for predators. I can't remember the exact heights that were suggested but it seems to me, it was something like 6 inches from the bottom, one through the middle and another near the top so that anything trying to jump in would get a jolt.

Try to get a nice mix of colors too!

Absolutely :D She had some wonderfully coloured sheep. Normally, I can't wear wool (ITCHY!!!!) but I bought some of her finished wool and it's as soft as can be. I'll have to get my mom to knit me some new mittens :rolleyes:

I'm so glad to hear you liked them. :rolleyes: Good luck with your fence and pole barn. I fenced last summer and I'm close to finishing my pole barn now (thank doG). I started my barn in January, but it may go faster for you if you have help. :D

You've inspired me to look around for shetland breeders in my area. :D

I've accessed another forum about sheep and asked about their 'jumping fence atttitude'. So far, the Shetland folk there have commented on the 'under the fence' rather than over. So, we shall see...If this works, here's some of the sheep I saw (and her two LGDs)

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/cric...rl/100_3101.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/cric...rl/100_3099.jpg

The dog *is* bigger than the sheep! Kris, the other nice thing about Shetlands is they have "duck" tails that don't need docking. Some nice colors in there, and her fence doesn't look especially fortress-like, which is a good sign! (My neighbor's Shetland is more likely to find ways through or under things rather than over, so I think the folks on the Shetland list are spot on).

J.

I have to say I was quite amazed when I saw how much the sheep liked attention. The older ewes would saunter up with their tails wagging just like a dog would :rolleyes: She had a very nice variety of colours. I particularly liked the 'toffee' brown colour (I know the colour has a specific name....I just can't remember it) :D

As for the dogs...yep, they were in the range of 120 lbs or so and the largest ewe was about 80 lbs and not very tall at all! I think she said her largest ram was about 100 lbs so definitely the size of sheep I can handle on my own.