BC Boards

tracking continues

Ok, the lesson went marvelously. It was in the AM, on much wetter grass than I had been tracking her on in the afternoon.

She did one track for the lesson - her first with another person laying it, her first right turns (2 of them, triple tracked). 200 yards. Brilliantly done!

Now we drop the triple track on the right turns (we already did on the left as you suggested) and continue with multiple turns and longer and longer, and I have to get others to set for me more.

I used a Lupine harness for the class - I don't like the fit, but Rose liked it much better than the collar. I got a premier harness Sunday and it fits great! And it looks snazzily professional...gotta love that!

If I want to try SAR with her, but also compete in tracking tests, when is it time to introduce air scenting versus the ground trailing she is doing? I know dogs can do both, but not sure how you would differentiate. A harness to ground trail, a backpack to air?

Thanks!

Congratulations!

You don't have to have anyone else lay them for you, you can lay them just fine. Glad you quit triple laying the turns :rolleyes: Don't cheat though with wet grass - no guiding! Try laying them w/o flags on corners, you can lay the flag down but don't have it visible, that will keep you and the dog a little more honest if need be!

Not sure what you meant "longer and longer"? Longer time, shorter distance at first, then longer time and longer distance. Start doing open turns, not just 90's but don't ask for a 45 yet, too much too soon. You can even do huge circles if you've got the room. Start going across small dirt roads, sidewalks, etc....

I can't help you with the SAR question. It sounds logical to switch gear to differentiate style but I am not sure.

Good luck!

Karen