BC Boards

I worked Nash first time ever!

Guest pax

Nash is the puppy I bought from Mary Brighoff a while back, via Mark and Renee.

He is 11 months. Mark has been working with him, three or four times, I guess, enough to get a (fairly) reliable start and stop.

Yesterday I got to work with Nash for the first time.

I was too winded to actually smile much and I learned that it's softer to fall on sheep than on the ground, but it was an amazing thing.

He is such a good smart guy. He's relaxed and not too crazy and it boggles my mind, the way these dogs GET it, the balance. I don't have to do a thing but not fall down in front of the sheep trying to change direction. (Except, I did.) My come bye side is better. :rolleyes:

Since I came home yesterday every sentence I've uttered has started with, "When I have a work pen....".

These pictures from the first time I saw Mark work him.

wear.jpg

balance.jpg

goodboy.jpg

I am pea-green with envy. :rolleyes: But congratulations anyway. :D You must be so thrilled.

So how are you going to build your round pen? I'm going to build one, once I get finished with the barn, and I'm wondering if a regular 66' diameter round pen made of wood and no-climb would work for both sheepdogs and horses. What do you think?

Space the wood a little closer together than you would normally for horses in a pen that diameter. Our next pen permutation will have all wood posts and use Patrick's patented No Fuss cattle panel attachment system all the way around. We use cattle panel so the posts can be a bit further apart, but I don't think no climb is as strong as the panels. It's not that they would get out, it's that it's bendy and would get warped and unattractive after a while.

Thanks, Bill. I'll just make the pen bigger. 66' is kind of a standard diameter for horse round pens, but since I plan on breaking mine to drive a bigger one would be better for the horses as well.

Becca - I didn't realize Patrick had patented his own cattle panels. :rolleyes: How cool is that.

No just the attachment method. And not really, of course. He was just so proud of figuring it out on his own. I like to feed his ego in this regard whenever possible. Yes, your fence building skills rock, dear. I'd love to see another example right over there. :rolleyes:

Yes, your fence building skills rock, dear. I'd love to see another example right over there. :D

Smart girl. :D I made the mistake of being a bit too honest about my wonderful DH's carpentry skills, which is why I've ended up building a barn all by myself. :rolleyes: He's a good cook, though. :D