BC Boards

Bindi met a horse

Up the street a bit from our house is a pasture and in the last couple of weeks there have been a few horses in there. I took Bindi for a walk last night and decided to go that way (we usually go the other way). I stopped at the driveway and the horses were probably 30 yards away. Bindi flipped. Her tail went between her legs, she started barking and growling, her neck fur was standing up. She kept trying to get away. We stayed there for a while until she calmed down. She sniffed around a bit but was very watchful of the horses. Any time they snorted or neighed she tried to run. It was really strange. Does this mean she won't like sheep? I was planning on trying her on sheep once I got her recall down.

No, not really. Horses are really big. The first time my Kylie met a horse, she met it really close as it was eating hay- she was afraid. We sat down on the other side of the board fence. Well, Kylie must have decided to try and make friends, because when he put his head down to eat, Kylie picked up some hay in her mouth too, apparently trying the "when in Rome...." school of thought.

Julie

Up the street a bit from our house is a pasture and in the last couple of weeks there have been a few horses in there. I took Bindi for a walk last night and decided to go that way (we usually go the other way). I stopped at the driveway and the horses were probably 30 yards away. Bindi flipped. Her tail went between her legs, she started barking and growling, her neck fur was standing up. She kept trying to get away. We stayed there for a while until she calmed down. She sniffed around a bit but was very watchful of the horses. Any time they snorted or neighed she tried to run. It was really strange. Does this mean she won't like sheep? I was planning on trying her on sheep once I got her recall down.

Here is Starr, firmly denying any possibility that the black and white mare is in any way present at all.

She is firm in her commitment to the idea that the horses are just.not.there.

IMG_3679.jpg

Unless it's feed time.

IMG_3692.jpg

ETA: Nash is of the opinion they might be fun to chase if he could just get them out of their boxes. In the meantime, he contents himself to alternately trying to get them to touch noses, or bite noses, depending. (A lot of mine have dutch doors.) I wish the pony would just let him have it once, but he hasn't yet. The day the pony sneezed all over Nash was priceless, though, you've never seen a dog more deflated.

Not really. Black Jack wouldn't even come close to my horse or even in the hay pen beside it because he was scared of him. But after I took him to the stock clinic and worked some sheep he totally changed. Now he has no problem with them. I make sure he still respects them and doesn't try to herd them but at least he's not scared anymore. I think it might come down to confidence too.

Speedy HATES horses, but loves sheep. He likes cows, too. We live across the street from a pasture of dairy cows and he isn't the least bit bothered by them.

There are Mennonites in our area and our road is a favorite of theirs. Buggies often go by, especially on Sunday mornings when they go to church. Speedy expresses his disgust with those buggies whenever he gets the chance!!

If he hears a horse on TV, he'll run to the window and get ready to bark!!

:rolleyes: You guys have funny dogs. We visited the horses again today. This time one was by the fence by the road. We stopped and she freaked out a little bit. She settled down and cautiously watched for a while. We then moved on like nothing had happened.

I wouldn't worry. Quanah, my young paint horse, is fascinated with Faith and will walk along with us on his side of the fence as Faith and I take our morning "fence walk." If he blows on her or gets too close she jumps a foot and raises her hackles.

I thought she might take fright at sheep the same way, but when she went to Becca's last weekend being afraid of the sheep was definitely not her problem. :rolleyes: