BC Boards

Few questions on these sheep coming

Hi everyone

The sheep are coming this week- God willin' and the creek don't rise. I am getting 7 sheep to start. They will be a mix of ewes and lambs. Now, I surmise I need to give them some time to settle in- and get to know me. What do you all do when you bring new sheep in? How long before you work them? I also want to fashion a smaller pen to put them in when I need to medicate, or hold for some reason. Do you all just make a pen out of wood rail/wire, or do you use pig rails, or something like that?

Well, any advice is welcome. I am chomping at the bit for this to happen. Oh, they are Dorper/Kathadin/St. Croix crosses.

Another REALLY stupid question- how much on average- in the warm weather, do sheep drink? I plan on getting a decent sized Rubbermaid stock tank- that is easily cleaned. How often do you all change the water? Basically, I want to keep these guys maintained best I can, and since my history is with horses mainly, I want to make sure I am realistic in my plans.

Oh, one more thing- I got the name of the local Sheep guru, so that makes me feel more prepared too.

Thanks.

Julie

I guess it depends on if they've ever been worked with a dog before...if not, it'll take a bit to get them used to it. Best done if the dog behaves well, and doesn't push too hard, take cheap shots, etc. In other words, good, clean stockpersonship. :rolleyes: When I bring new ones in, they just get added to the whole flock--they may not get used in a small bunch to work the dogs right away, but are taken into the arena each night, and taken out to graze evey morning, so a dog is moving the whole group. They will also get gathered up in the whole group to be taken into the small pen to sort, so they learn to go through my gates, etc. After a week or so of that, I may use them in a smaller group for the dogs. As for water, I just keep a float on the tub so it's always full, and dump it when it looks nasty, or after the dogs have been in it, which makes it full of dirt. The sheep prefer clean water. For medicating, etc., I have a smallish pen, one that will easily hold the entire group, and then I just use the dog. You can make it out of most anything, but remember, sheep can very easily squeeze between the rails of pipe panels, so you need to wrap at least the bottom in wire. The dog keeps 'em bunched up to one end, so I can easily go through and grab the one I need. It's great work for the dogs--they need to stay parked, but ready to get up if someone challenges them. The dogs like it a lot! I look forward to hearing all about them when you get them!

Anna

I have Dorpers as well and Really like them. As a mater of fact I was just thinking yesterday how much I actually do like them :D I had swapped out for some Ramboullet ewes for a month or so, a bit more difficult to work etc...but I have the Dorpers back now, and what a difference. The Dorpers are very friendly, they love my horses and sleep in an open stall with my one old guy at night...they're just really nice sheep, and seem to dog break very easily. I'll admit that I only have sheep to work my dogs on, and although I've always respected the sheep, and have NEVER considered them 'dog toys' by any means, I think you'll be surprised that as you spend more and more time with these sheep you really come to appreciate them even more. And for me I think that translates into becoming a better trainer and handler. It makes me really aware of how I want my dogs to treat the sheep, no running them til they're blowing, or chasing and harrassing them etc... nice calm. controlled work. it also carries over (for me at least) in the respect you have for other peoples sheep at trials for instance. Hope all that makes sense :D

Oh and if you do plan on running your horses and your sheep together, I would initially put your sheep in a pen, away from the horses (where they can see them but not get to them) for a day or two. And for sure don't just kick them out unsupervised. My horses were initially very curious about the sheep, (I have 4) and basically surrounded them :rolleyes: I had a lunge whip with me and just made them back off. I don't think they would intentionaly hurt them, but even just playing they could have done a lot of damage...so just go slow. Good luck! and congrats on getting yourself some sheep!

Oh, it's been my experience they don't drink all that much, but regardless, I have a trough of clean water available at all times for them...we're in Texas, thats a must. Also you might have to get a shorter trough than the ones you use for your horses, as the sheep may not be able to reach a standard horse trough.

Make sure you get a water trough that the sheep can reach into -- the 50 gallon rubbermaid ones are perfect. But they won't be able to reach into a 100-gallon horse trough.

When lactating heavily, a 160-lb ewe might need 1 or 2 gallons a day. In high heat and no shade, I have had dry ewes drink that much, but it's pretty unusual. Even though they won't drink it all, you should change the water every few days to keep it from getting scummy.

Keep an eye on those 50-gallon tubs (they're what I use too) in hot, dry weather (maybe not a problem for you Julie given you're in the northeast). Just this past weekend I was surprised at how my sheep drew the stock tank down, and so went to check my neighbors' sheep and found them with almost no water (an absolute first, with owners gone just for the weekend--that is, for as long as they've had sheep, they've never had all the tubs drained over a weekend). We are having hot, dry weather and haven't had rain in some time, so even the forage is dry. The sheep are drinking way more water than I've ever seen them drink before. So part of your regime of watering, etc. needs to take into account weather and what the sheep are eating.... I try to clean them out at least once a week--more often if the algae is growing really fast.

J.-

Oh just you wait, it's going to be so much fun!

woohoo.gif

I never thought of the sheep as anything other than a means to an end, but I find my whole family is really enjoying them. So much easier than horses.

I bought a 50 gallon knock off brand tub at Southern States. Someone checks it daily and it gets dumped scrubbed and refilled every two or three days. I'd do it daily because I am freaky that way but I don't have water to the field yet (but the guy was just here to talk to me about running the electrics for it).

They have yet to drain the tank. I have one who is still nursing her lamb.

My husband is in the "planning" part of his "building me a pen" process. We may be some time. :rolleyes: Right now if I want to lay hands on them I am pushing them into a corner made of a rock retaining wall and the barn. (It's a bank barn.) Starr holds and I grab. :D I don't have much call to lay hands on 'em, though.

One thing I have a problem with is the ear flipping. They lay down and just snooze away there, flipping their ears at the bugs. Horsey me wants to grab the fly spray and run out there to forestall a bug-induced fence running panic. The sheep have no idea what I am worried about. They just keep flipping their ears and don't get up until it's time for a smackeral. On the other hand, the fly spray bottle got them running just fine. :D

I gave them a week to settle in before I worked them, and I did clockwork in the middle and then some gymnastics amongst the trees. I did not send her anywhere near the fence. If I am in the pen, the fence is off. I don't want to get Starr or me between the fence and the sheep if it's on.

In the little pen, the day time temp one I am moving around, I don't work her at all, there is no margin for error in terms of space.

Oh it's going to be fun fun fun for you. I am liking my girls so much. It's like being in love with the horses in the beginning, before you get old and broke in pockets AND knees.

Yay!