BC Boards

Dog-herding sheep

fpbear

We let our Dalmatian, Pebbles, get near the Dorset sheep through the wood fence gate and something funny happened. The horned twin lambs were pushing Pebbles' butt with their heads, as if the sheep were trying to herd the dog. They were pushing the dog toward, and then against the wood fence. I thought the natural instinct was supposed to be the other way around. Generally the Dalmatian is afraid of the sheep and it is gentle with them.

This was a rare get-together in the yard, so I don't intend to spark responses suggesting how to manage the sheep/Dalmatian relationship. They will remain separate. Instead I am quite curious what this lamb behavior means. Are the lambs playing around? Do they think Pebbles is another sheep and trying to push it to go along with the herd?

It was quite funny to watch.

The Border Collie puppy will be arriving next week...

My two month old ram lambs are very curious about the dogs and will approach them through the fence. Today I had Donald tied to a gate while I checked the lambs hooves. As I finished one I would let them go and I didn't want him chasing them while I was too busy too notice. The oldest ram lamb(Feb 25th) walked up to the dog, and when Donald wouldn't play like a lamb, just lay down next to him. Your lambs were probably just trying to get the spotted beast to play sheep games!