BC Boards

"I don't want to"

Bekah

Hi, I'm a new poster, but I have been a lurker for a while.

But I have a question and I was hoping you smart! people could help me out?

I'm working with this dog, she's about six now and has had very little consistent work. Once upon a time she used to do as she was told, but no one's worked with her in so long that she doesn't any more.

But now I have a problem, because she only does it if she feels like it. It takes me about 3 minutes of coaxing to get her to sit down. I *know* she knows it, she hasn't forgotten. And once I get her going, she's really good! She'll sit until I give her the release, and if I get right down in her face so she's looking me in the eye, she'll sit right away (which is another thing, she will never look at me! She won't follow a toy to my face, she won't acknowledge I've spoken, I have to get right down in *her* face before she'll look at me)

So anyway, I figured it would just be a matter of getting her back into the habit of doing what she's told. So when she does finally sit, I praise her a lot, and throw her ball for her, all of which she loves. So I thought if I was consistent enough that she'd pick up again that sitting when told= nice things. But it's been weeks now and I'm beginning to get frustrated. I'm still standing there saying 'Sit. Sit. Sit. Flick...Sit. Sit. Sit.' for a few minutes, and often resorting to tapping her hips to remind her that I'm not just white noise. How can I make 'sit' fun? How do I get her to want to do it? She likes to please me, and she likes to be loved up and petted, but it's like in her mind, sitting down isn't worth it! Now I'm worried that I'm going to get frustrated and I know that won't help her at all!

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Edit: Did I put this in the wrong place? Should it be on the other board?

Bekah,

You'll probably get a few responses here, but if you move this question to the "general discussion" section or even the "agility, obedience" section many more people will see it and be likely to respond as this section is for training for stockwork and not general obedience.

J.

• 4 weeks later...