BC Boards

what are the best sheep?

Bo Peep

This is only my opinion and it doesn't mean a darn thing-

But as far as training goes. I always liked to have a few "dog broke" sheep on hand. I like Cheviot's. They were a little flighty at first, but small & compact, yet they needed sheering. Personally, I found the black faced sheep to be "stompers" and tough for a new dog. When I had the wool sheep, I would have the bother of sheering them. Just had them done basically for free and gave the wool to the sheerer. PLUS, you have the "dingle-berries". Once my old dogs were pretty good I discovered hair sheep- wow. They didn't get dog broke so fast, so less trips to switch sheep on auction day. My first were Barbados's, then to katahdin. Then I mixed them.

So, I'm wondering, if you are getting sheep for your dogs..........what breed do you recommend?

This is only my opinion and it doesn't mean a darn thing-

But as far as training goes. I always liked to have a few "dog broke" sheep on hand. I like Cheviot's. They were a little flighty at first, but small & compact, yet they needed sheering. Personally, I found the black faced sheep to be "stompers" and tough for a new dog. When I had the wool sheep, I would have the bother of sheering them. Just had them done basically for free and gave the wool to the sheerer. PLUS, you have the "dingle-berries". Once my old dogs were pretty good I discovered hair sheep- wow. They didn't get dog broke so fast, so less trips to switch sheep on auction day. My first were Barbados's, then to katahdin. Then I mixed them.

So, I'm wondering, if you are getting sheep for your dogs..........what breed do you recommend?

I have found that anything I have with a little Barb in it will eventually decide to become a racehorse at the front of my good sheep flock. I have an old Dorper/Barb cross ewe and she and every daughter I've kept of hers has started out nice and dog broke and eventually the evil Barb influence comes out and I find myself yet again cutting out sheep so I have a reasonable group for beginning dogs. These sheep are good to put in a group to show where the dog is cheating, especially at the pen- as you have to be spot on with your flanks & stopping to get them in.

I really, really love my Dorper/Kathadin crosses. They are lovely sheep for beginning dogs- they don't cause trouble unless handled incorrectly. They keep together well and don't run over you. They will drive off well and without bolting or trying to outsmart the dog. They will set out nicely on hay and not move until the dog picks them up (I've found they really learn to be conservative with their energy and only move when they have to). Great mothers too and no shearing (only my Barb/Dorper crosses need light shearing). The lambs (when they are weaned and old enough to work) do not act stupid, again if handled correctly.

It might just be my line of sheep I have, but I'm a big fan of my Dorper/Kathadins- although I've had to sell one, and now probably another, that tend to bawl too much once they have lambs (at the drop of a leaf, at feeding time, when lambie gets to far away- and not just a normal baa..a BAWL). It's driving my sheep landlady a bit crazy so they have to go if they get that way.

I agree with Jamie--I like my dorper and dorper/K crosses for all around and for the basis of my flock (selling lambs, etc.). However, for dog-training purposes, I really like to keep a wide variety of sheep for different levels of dogs and to work on different skills with the dogs. In addition to several "school sheep" (which often includes a karakul or two) for the very beginning dogs, I like to have some Suffolks--they can challenge a dog, and their particular thing is that in a group of 6 or so, they will just kind of wander off from the group if the dog does not work to keep them together. I also like to keep a handful of ramboulliettes, preferebly culled from the local (very large) commercial flock, as they tend to want to fight pretty good, and just generally don't give a rip about the dog, so the dog has to rise to the occasion. They are especially good for teaching driving, as they tend to not be as squirty as some other breeds with a dog just learning to drive, but they are light side-to-side, so will let you know if the dog has over-flanked. I also find my Romney crosses can be a bit stubborn, which I like, too. Generally, I like all breeds for their various characteristics, except Barbs--they are just gazelles to me, :rolleyes:

Anna