BC Boards

BC accepting new puppy

We have a 4 year old female BC named Latte', about a month ago we had a lab mix puppy (around 4 mos according to the vet)wander up, no collar, chip, etc... Latte' will not even let Lucky get close to her. It only took her a few days to accept Barney our other dog that we rescued. Any suggestions????

Matt

p.s. I don't have pictures of Lucky yet but here are a few of Latte' and Barney

Latte' and Barney

I would keep them separated until you can control the situation. It is hard to tell why she is doing what she is doing it without seeing it for yourself. However, in order to curb any real harm being done, I would keep them separated.

Another thing you could do is leash Latte at all times and give her a leash correction when she gets after Lucky. However, this may not be the best since sometime leashes make them "more aggressive". But this does allow you to the power into your hands because by the time Latte attacks the correction would be too late...you need to get her while she is thinking about it.

I can usually read Keegan now, with a few exceptions, and correct him when he is thinking about snapping at another dog...but remember that it isn't easy. Keegan doesn't always give the signs that I know how to read.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but thought you should know that someone was thinking about your problem.

Rachel has good advise. Also, be extra aware when treats, food and toys are involved. That is when most scuffles break out. I know how upsetting that is. Hoku (the pup) still tries to jump our old girl Gussy when treats or extra yummies are involved. Its really frustrating, but we now know that we just can't trust him with goodies involved. Good luck, and let us know how they are getting along.

Kristin