BC Boards

The Joys of Puppyhood (again)

First, a quick update. Eilidh/Bean (she answers to both, by the way. It's sometimes a bit confusing for us, but she's caught up pretty well. It really was an accident.) is doing well. Eating, drinking, playing, etc. etc. etc. No seizures recently, but still no answers as to why they were/are happening. She's on no medications, she's just chilling. So, hopefully it's all passed and we're beyond the bad.

Onward.

I have had the pleasure of having three border collies in my life. Apache was #1. I'd like to say I raised her, but all I did was play with her and feed her. She was very dear to me, but she belonged, really, to my step-father. She was a working dog and she did her job sunup to sundown and she did it well. My step-father could send her out alone and she'd bring the dairy cows in. Slowly, calmly, perfectly. She'd even round up the strays. Awesome dog. Fun. Totally made me love the breed. From what I remember, though, she was an easy puppy. Energetic, definitely typical border-collie, but...easy. So long as she was given the time she needed.

Then came Combat. And the realization that WHOA! Mom's not here to raise the puppy? Oh gosh, I have to do it? Geeeeez. Totaly eye-opener. But, a very rewarding experience. Combat was a challenge, but we made it through. I learned from him that Border Collie puppies are a "different" breed completely, but...still, he was easy. He was from a beef cattle operation out in west Oklahoma. Somewhere. I forget the city. Anyway, his parents worked. He wasn't bred for pretty, he was bred to push cows. But...I got lucky. He was the last puppy left because he was the one with the least interest in the stock (at that age). He ate a remote control once. I think he did, anyway. Never found it. Maybe we just lost it. Hmm.

Recon was a bit more of a challenge. Her parents were working dogs, but I have a feeling that from her sire's side some of those dogs weren't exactly bred because of their wonderful working ability. (this is a guess, no one fuss at me for knocking her breeding.) But! she was easy-ish. Once we found our groove, anyway. She's just a bit more high maintenance than Combat and a little more demanding. She's also got better stock sense than he does. We'll not go into that. I love my Recon. She only chewed things a few times - never destroyed anything.

Eilidh....wow. She is mouthy, she is bouncy, she chews anything that is left anywhere including the furniture. She's hyper-active as heck. She barks. She whines. She sasses and talks back (as in...you tell her no, she barks at you). I get a phone call at least once a day from Mom going _WHY?_ Mother loves the dog. They've bonded. But the puppy is driving her nuts and I can do nothing but laugh. I've told mom...put toys down. Positive reinforcement. Puppy-proof. Ignore when she mouths. Teach her more tricks. Stimulate her mind. You do not have to pick her up and let her sit on your lap just because she says it's time. BE THE BOSS!

My mother basically taught me everything I know about animals, so I hate to question her judgement...but. Now, to me at least, Eilidh seems like a bit more of a challenge than my previous two, but not really horrible. Mom said Apache was never that bad.

Could it be the difference between the first three coming from (mostly) working stock and Eilidh being from a back yard breeder type? Is there any suggestion you can think of that I can tell Mom?

I've got to take Recon down to Gulfport on Thursday for her final (yay!) heartworm treatment, so I'll be picking Eilidh up to spend the weekend up here with me. I'll get some new photos at that point. And I guess I can watch her behavior and see if Mom's just going nuts because she's not used to puppies or if it's because Eilidh really is a holy terror. She -does- have attitude. But she can't be that bad....right?

I don't have any advice but I do have a new boy (born Dec 17th) Mac, and he is all those thing's also ! I have had 5 bc's in total 2 now Jen and little Mac and I have never had one so happy, hyper and mouthy. He does the same thing he talks alot,

and he talks back :rolleyes: I have never had such a barky bc. Anyway I'm just feeling your pain, but I wanted him and I love him and he is really funny so I guess you take the good with the chewing (everything) ,mouthy, hyper bad!

It could be a lot of things but don't forget the "grandmother syndrome". When I was growing up and we had dogs they were all perfectly behaved little people and my parents were strict task masters. Now that I'm out of the house, they have a dog who runs the place and you would think they had never had dogs before her. It's incredibly funny...the dog is 8 and she still behaves like a "bad puppy". But hey..I don't live there anymore so it can't be MY fault!!

Maria

Me thinks Bean has your mom's number...

Basically it sounds like your mom lets Bean get away with murder. Maybe your mom has been too easy on Bean because of Bean's health issues and just can't bring herself to discipline her.

So, your best bet is remind your mom how to raise a puppy, how to teach manners, how to work on commands, etc...

It all comes down to your mom is a sucker and at this rate I don't think your mom will be able to let you send Bean to another home. I think may have it already...

It's 8:20 and I've already received my first Bean phone call of the day. Oooh boy.

Yes, I think you guys are right. She has my mom's number. Mama is in the grandmother phase - she gets to spoil my brother's kids rotten and I think that's what she's doing with Eilidh.

We'll have a reminder. And I'm bringing Eilidh up to the apartment for a few days at the end of this week so I can see what's going on.

I have to admit, I do miss the little brat.