BC Boards

HIC?

haleigh

I'd like to get Joy's HIC, but dad thinks it's not necessary. I would love to do herding with her in a few years, once I have my own car, but is the HIC important? I'd like to get it done so I would know I'm not wasting my time with plans and finding a good trainer. Any advice where to start?

Are you asking if you need a HIC to discover whether Joy will have an aptitude for herding?

She is a border collie; she would get the HIC blindfolded with two paws tied behind her back.

But that won't tell you whether or not she is a talented stockdog. Working with a knowledgeable trainer when she is ready to handle it will. I'd say plan away! You don't need the HIC.

Yea I agree - the HIC is a joke imo. The herding person we used to go to said Maggie could've passed the HIC the first time she was on stock and perhaps even gotten her level one AKC title at the same time. :rolleyes: The instructor usually works with shelties and the like and hosts AKC trials and it was funny to see the looks on the faces of the sheltie people who've spent years trying to get their dogs to where Maggie was on her first time.

I belive you just have to move the stock :rolleyes: - I've heard of freaked out shelties bolting from the stock, but still getting a HIC and of a Golden getting one, and being a star in the test, as well.

Here you go: "The dog is brought into the arena on a long line approximately 6 - 15 feet in length. At some point while on the line, the dog must demonstrate a stop (down, sit, or stand) and a recall before the line is dropped or removed." from the AKC herding guidelines book under "Instinct Test Description and Test Elements".

Am I the only one wondering what the HECK this tells you about instinct?

ETA: The components of a successful "Herding Test" include: "1. A controlled stop at the beginning; 2. and 3. Two changes in direction at or near the proper pylon while exhibiting controlled movement of the stock; 4. A stop; 5. Followed by a recall att he end of the test". Dogs are given 10 mins to complete this test. Pylons are 80 to 180 feet apart for sheep and cattle and 80 feet for ducks and 10 feet away from the sides of the arena.

All right...this explains things a little more. I'm not into the AKC that much anyways, so I won't press upon it anymore. I think I should be spending my time concentrating on other things with Joy at the moment.

But the bigger question: How do I get started on herding, especially if I don't have my own stock?

But the bigger question: How do I get started on herding, especially if I don't have my own stock?

Check out the Little Hats site. It has a lot of good information on getting started, including beginner FAQs and finding an instructor. The Stockdog Server has a list of instructors, but was down when I just checked it (I haven't visited the site in a while). Another list of instructors can be found here.

This thread may also give you an initial list of things to think about or ask when trying to figure out if someone is a "good" instructor.

Good luck and have fun!