BC Boards

Practice Broad Jump

The easiest way, buy a broad jump. :rolleyes::D

Almost anything can be a broad jump. I have used cardboard boxes (cut into long strips, then cardboard "feet" duck-taped on - not very durable but will do in a pinch), short stacks of books, a lot of PVC jump poles all lined up really close (on top of bricks or something), a very easy one to do - two or three ordinary jumps set low and drape some cloth over them so they look solid, I do that one the most. Anything else you have that is long and flat could work too. Some old wood from a past construction project? Pieces of siding for a house? Drain pipe? a trashcan or two on their sides?

Anything that can be low, long, and look solid would work so she remembers to JUMP not WALK over it. If possible, since your training center doesn't practice with one much do they have one that they could loan you? That would be a very good option if possible....

Again, good luck at the trial!! :D

Guest CleverDog

You could easily (and very cheaply) make one out of PVC! Just use garden stakes for the corners, with pvc poles over them. Then, to make the 'jump' part, mark and cut the heights you need. Attach them to PVC tees to make the feet...and then just 90 degree corners on top of that (can't remember...are broad jumps supposed to be 5 feet wide?) attached to the wide 5(?) foot length and feet. Voila! (Hope that actually made sense...). It'll take you 20 minutes with a pair of PVC cutters and probably cost you less than 10 dollars, and you can store it very easily :rolleyes: . I'm sure you can google agility broad jumps and just copy a photo of one someone has made. It's not as wide as a panel, but that's never thrown my dogs, River probably wouldn't notice!

The idea of using jumps close w/ something draped sounds great. I have 3 PVC jumps already. And the PVC w/ feet sounds is something i recall seeing online before - but seeing as I BOUGHT my PVC jumps, I don't think I'll be making anything, lol.

Thanks guys!!

I think my training barn has them, they are just rarely out. I can rent the barn for use and might do that on a weekly basis in a few months once Diesel starts going. I could buy some, but the trial is in 3 weeks and I want to make sure I get some time logged right away. Plus what I really need is a teeter since River is still very very tentative on it - I have the base, just have to get off my computer chair and get a board and paint it (with surface stuff) so I'd rather spend the cash that way. At least no weaves/teeter in this trial for us. :rolleyes:

Agility obstacles I have, purchased from ebay:

-3 PVC bar jumps with 1 bar each (has bar on bottom)

-set of wings to use w/ one of the jumps

-tire jump (1st dog wouldn't go thru the hoop itself at first)

-6 independent weave poles that stake themselves into the ground

-set of 4 wires to go w/ the weave poles

-heavy duty PVC trianglular base with metal rod in center - directions in an email somewhere as to how to assemble the board

So I set up the 3 jumps 'back to back' of each other with a graduating higher jump height. River jumped it fine. So then I put a towel across the 3 to simulate a broad jump. River tried to walk on the towel. hehehehehe

Then she avoided the jump twice and finally started jumping it. weeeeeeeee.