BC Boards

Not sure if I want to do this another year.

Brandon M

I've been working at a Llama and alpaca ranch for years. I Also help a neighboring ranch with their sheep and goats.

I have a problem with becoming over attached to the animals and it's effecting my work. This year there is a male Llama born that I've become really attached to and I know I'm going to hate to see him go. In previous years I've had the same problem. I cant help but become attached to certain animals that I like and work with for so long. But when the time comes for them to be weaned I get over protective and seriously have a problem letting them go. I think it's because I spend so much time with them. I spend 6 hours a days with them. I figure the easiest way to let go is to just do it. Just dont think about it. But I figure I'll see what you all have to say. Maybe you can give me advice.

My advice is, when you STOP feeling that way, then you need to stop taking care of animals.

In the meantime, I think it's normal to love something you're caring for and to want the best for it.

Unless you are so upset you are throwing yourself in front of the trucks when they ship out, or doing something else disruptive like that, I think how you feel is how you feel.......and...how YOU feel about the animals is a positive, not a negative.

Don't feel bad. Sometimes I have to let an older ewe go to make room

for a superior replacement ewe lamb. It's not hard at all if it's one of the

ones with an obnoxious, loud mouth or something like that. This year one

of my "pet" ewes will have to go as it's her third year throwing singles. I

try to tell myself they are livestock, not a pet dog, but it does bother me to

see them heading down the drive in someone else's trailer. Seems every

year there's always a super friendly wether that I hate to see going to

market. But that's life with livestock. I'm not a vegan, I love meat. At

least your Alpaca's are not going onto someone's dinner table. Mona