BC Boards

prelambing vaccinations

coon

I absolutely loved Bar-vac CD/T. If you don't have blackleg around, you don't need Covexin. Sadly, I had a dog attack during calving a few years ago, and that put it back in my flock. I won't be able to use the CD/T again for another two years - and I'll probably stay with Covexin even then since I've got the cattle right next door.

The main problems that come from Covexin are caused by the carrier, which is quite irritating. There's an 8-way I've heard isn't as bad - Vision 8, but I keep forgetting to order it until it's time to vaccine and end up just picking up the Covexin again. Really, I haven't had more than just one or two issues with the Covexin in all my time using it so it's more important to me to get it done.

Be very careful when ordering clostridial vaccines and make sure you read the labels. Vision 8 does not cover tetanus, which is by far the most widespread clostridial disease of lambs, so you'd still need to do something about it. Covexin 8 is the only 8-way clostridial vaccine that I've seen that does cover tetanus.