BC Boards

new crate for class

I use a soft crate for Maggie at trials; she's just leashed in class when it isn't your turn. If you have to crate and your boy doesn't go nuts in one, a soft crate might be a good bet as they are MUCH lighter and easier to move than any other crate out there.

For regular crates, I've found the varikennel deluxe model the best - it's easier to put together than the basic model and pretty heavy duty.

I use soft, folding crates. VERY easy. I have one for the car (and is our trial crate) and two in the house. Easy to move and take places.

In class it can be really beneficial for the dogs to wait in a crate while other dogs are working - much like a trial is, where they can't be out ALL the time.

If not the soft/folding, then the next best thing for my dogs is a wire/folding crate. vari kennels (hard plastic crates) are just now our thing! :rolleyes:

If you want something a bit tougher than a soft crate (as in, for a dog who is not so settled yet), I like a collapsible wire (suitcase) crate - nice soft mat inside, blanket, or custom cover over the top, and it's easier to cart than a Vari I would think. That's what I use as my car is already full of a large collapsible wire that they both travel in - so no room for a Vari - but plenty of room along the side for a soft crate and a collapsible wire crate.

Thanks for the responses.

We have a soft crate, but sometimes he gets really excited during class and can roll around in it.

I actually shopped around town for crates and was surprised to find that Academy Sports had them about HALF the price of pet supply stores. For less than $40 I got a Petmate pet porter! PetCo wanted $99 for the exact same one. Luckily I needed some new hiking boots and while I was there just browsing I ran across the crates.