BC Boards

I think I might have found the sheep for me

KrisK

Sally - Not yet :rolleyes: I really was hoping to meet them 'sooner' rather than later but as always life gets in the way of best laid plans :D So, I hope to see them this weekend and then another flock in early June. I'm trying to convince DH that getting sheep this year would be just fine but it's a bit of a hard sell. Time will tell :D Rest assured, as soon as I meet them, I'll be posting!

Celia,

I've never known shetlands not to be sheared here. When I was in Wales two years ago I noticed some wool sheep shedding (can't remember the breed--it was something local) and was told that they can shed, but the only time I've ever seen shedding wool sheep in the US it's been the result of wool break caused by some sort of stress. Then again, I'm no expert, so maybe it is possible for some wool sheep to shed (but it does seem that if that were the rule for some breeds then hair sheep wouldn't have gained the popularity they've gained).

J.

Hmmm. I guess, if they're like horses, their shedding is triggered by the relative lengths of daylight and dark they're exposed to. Which of course is very different in the Shetlands - one of those places where it's dark almost all the time in winter and light till after midnight in the summer ("simmer dim" they call it :rolleyes: ). So maybe that's why they don't shed out here.

Kris - be sure to let us know what you think of the shetties. And ask about shedding, too. :D