BC Boards

Liability insurance for goose control

borderholic

What I have found is that most companies that write farm insurance (and there are very, very few) will cover damage caused by farm dogs, but none of them will cover the dogs themselves for accidental death or injury or business interruption.

I went around on this with a former employer who expected us to use our own dogs in some hazardous situations, and never reached any conclusion.

One agent I talked to couldn't believe that a dog could be worth $5,000. Add to that the fact that you're performing a service, often on public land, and I think you can probably kiss insurance on the value of the dog goodbye. But you should be able to find business liability insurance. It'll take some beating of the bush, but you'll be able to find it.

What you need to do is self-insure: set your rates high enough that you can afford to replace your dog if needed.

I was told I could get liability insurance (for $1000.00 a year) but it would not cover dog bites. I was told it would cover things like if my dog dug a hole...

You will need bite insurance on a golf course, and that is what is hard to get. Speak to brokers, and ask other goose people- I did, and found that the bigger companies were able to afford this (thousands of dollars a year), but not a fledgeling group (good pun eh?)

Julie

Thanks Julie, thats what I thought. I called a few companies and the place that I bought my dog and trained with gave me the name of the company they use. However it is an insurance company in North Carolina and they have to look into if they can insure me if I am in NY.

All the companies told me once you obtain the insurance allows you go after larger contracts, plus you are taken more seriously.

I guess I know of very few business ventures that don't have a "few obsticles to clear" in the begining. ( that was my attempt at a pun not as good as yours but I am new to this.

Craig